Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rvsjimbo
Level 1
Level 1

MSI GP62MVR 7RFX

Post by rvsjimbo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 am

Hi All,

I am having problems install Linux Mint on a new laptop, but so far things are not going well. Basic specs are at the following link:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP62MVR-7RFX ... cification

I can boot from a USB flash drive, into Mint, and when I did that initially, I went straight into the Install procedure, intending to go for a dual-boot solution. Eventually things just ground to a halt. I initially thought this was just something to do with a problem with the grub part of the installation. But I found out that if I simply left the system running from the live USB drive, it would eventually crash. Another thing is that if I tried running lspci, the command would just hang.

I have tried booting in compatibility mode, but that doesn't get me anywhere - it will not get to X.

Where do I go from here? I have updated the system with the latest BIOS revision available.

Cheers,

Paul.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: MSI GP62MVR 7RFX

Post by catweazel » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 am

rvsjimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 am
GP62MVR-7RFX
dual-boot
There is no reason why Mint should fail to install on that machine. There's a post here of an obviously working Mint on a GP62MVR-6RF, so...

Did you disable fast boot in the machine's BIOS?
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

rvsjimbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rvsjimbo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 am

So, fast boot had been disabled, and I had set the boot mode to be legacy.

The long story short is this:

Booting from the Linux Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit live ISO, pushed onto a USB flash drive, would work, but after (typically) less than an hour the system would freeze.

If I attempted the install, the system would freeze sooner.

If I attempted to run lspci, the command would freeze with no output being given.

Eventually I decided to try it with earlier versions of Mint and I eventually installed Linux Mint 18, and then did the upgrade to 18.3 from there. Its working fine now. I still do not understand why it would not work with 18.3 initially. Very strange.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 am

rvsjimbo wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 am
Eventually I decided to try it with earlier versions of Mint and I eventually installed Linux Mint 18, and then did the upgrade to 18.3 from there. Its working fine now. I still do not understand why it would not work with 18.3 initially. Very strange.
It could be that your download was corrupted in some way.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Return to “Hardware Support”