Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rvsjimbo
Level 1
Level 1

MSI GP62MVR 7RFX

Post by rvsjimbo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 am

Hi All,

I am having problems install Linux Mint on a new laptop, but so far things are not going well. Basic specs are at the following link:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP62MVR-7RFX ... cification

I can boot from a USB flash drive, into Mint, and when I did that initially, I went straight into the Install procedure, intending to go for a dual-boot solution. Eventually things just ground to a halt. I initially thought this was just something to do with a problem with the grub part of the installation. But I found out that if I simply left the system running from the live USB drive, it would eventually crash. Another thing is that if I tried running lspci, the command would just hang.

I have tried booting in compatibility mode, but that doesn't get me anywhere - it will not get to X.

Where do I go from here? I have updated the system with the latest BIOS revision available.

Cheers,

Paul.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: MSI GP62MVR 7RFX

Post by catweazel » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 am

rvsjimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 am
GP62MVR-7RFX
dual-boot
There is no reason why Mint should fail to install on that machine. There's a post here of an obviously working Mint on a GP62MVR-6RF, so...

Did you disable fast boot in the machine's BIOS?
Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

rvsjimbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rvsjimbo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 am

So, fast boot had been disabled, and I had set the boot mode to be legacy.

The long story short is this:

Booting from the Linux Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit live ISO, pushed onto a USB flash drive, would work, but after (typically) less than an hour the system would freeze.

If I attempted the install, the system would freeze sooner.

If I attempted to run lspci, the command would freeze with no output being given.

Eventually I decided to try it with earlier versions of Mint and I eventually installed Linux Mint 18, and then did the upgrade to 18.3 from there. Its working fine now. I still do not understand why it would not work with 18.3 initially. Very strange.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 am

rvsjimbo wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 am
Eventually I decided to try it with earlier versions of Mint and I eventually installed Linux Mint 18, and then did the upgrade to 18.3 from there. Its working fine now. I still do not understand why it would not work with 18.3 initially. Very strange.
It could be that your download was corrupted in some way.
Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

Return to “Hardware Support”