(Answered) How to find out if there is work being done to support your CPU

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

(Answered) How to find out if there is work being done to support your CPU

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Greetings All, here's that old nuisance once again! As always; thanks to all who read this, and to all who choose to respond.

I would like to know if there is work being done to support my processor:
CPU: Hexa core Intel Core i5-8600K (-MCP-) cache: 9216 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 43200
clock speeds: max: 4300 MHz 1: 3971 MHz 2: 4125 MHz 3: 4124 MHz
4: 4197 MHz 5: 4299 MHz 6: 4198 MHz

I.e. is there a chance that there will be a patch for Kernel 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) or for Kernel 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0), or perhaps the next release will include support for my processor.

As discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=265406&p=1441520&h ... t#p1441520, I'm concidering if I should get a supported processor as the way to solve the problems discussed in this thread about Keyboard and mouse lag / response delay: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264913&p=1440478&h ... t#p1440478.

If a patch is about to be sent out, I would rather not get a different processor. I might do so if the next stable release is some ways off in the future or if the next release doesn't support my processor.

As many of you will surmise from my many questions related to my OP about Key board and mouse lag / response delay linked above, I am in this mess way over my head. If you are half as tired of the subject as I am, well, it's not much help, but all I know to do is to press on, I just want to know how best to proceed.

Once again, Thanks to all of you who have read and to all of you who choose to respond.

Respectfully, Massively ignorant
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: How to find out if there is work being done to support your CPU

Post by Mattyboy »

Coffee Lake cpu's will be supported in Kernel 4.15. I'm running Ubuntu 18 Bionic Beaver ( dev branch ) on a Coffee Lake. Mint 19 will ship with 4.15.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

4.15 will also become available in Mint 18 as an upgrade option at some point in the reasonably near future - a few months probably. Mint 19 is likely to be available June/July sometime.

You can install an unsupported 4.15 build in Mint 18 now via the 'mainline' kernels that Ubuntu provide. Please note the warnings that these builds are unsupported and should be used for testing only https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

If you are wanting to experiment with the mainline kernels pending an officially supported 4.15 being available in Mint 18 or via Mint 19 there is also a GUI app to facilitate installing and removing them - https://github.com/teejee2008/ukuu

If your PC is usable and you are not confident about fixing any new problems that arise I'd not recommend trying this.

The other alternative is to give Ubuntu 18.04 a try as Mattyboy is doing - either via the current beta or it's official release at the end of April
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Massively ignorant, .......
Massively ignorant wrote:.
Please refer to the possible fix at ... viewtopic.php?f=59&p=1442347#p1442347

In general, full Linux support for new hardware will only come about 9 months after first release of the hardware.
....... Because Windows has a 90% market-monopoly in the world desktop OS market, full Win 10 support for new hardware comes immediately.
So, to run Linux, avoid buying the newest computer hardware.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Yeah, another lesson learned. For many years I have been getting used or refurbished computer equipment. That was always been satisfactory for my needs, I want to start using VR equipment and the best advice I got seemed to be to get new equipment. I still took the route of the least expensive equipment that promised to do the job and then assembled a new machine from parts. It never occured to me that I should check into which CPU's were supported. Oh well, maybe someone else will learn from this....

Thanks for the reply, Respectfully, Massively ignorant

Return to “Hardware Support”