Sd card folder

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrmajik45

Sd card folder

Post by mrmajik45 »

When I put in my sd card: For my Raspberry Pi. I get a error saying:
Unable to open a folder for 16 GB Volume
No application is registered as handling this file
And when i try to go to it's directory i get
Could not display "/media/ghostslayer989/605F-1968".
The location is not a folder.
Linux mint 18.3 | cinnamon
Partition of sd card: FAT32
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mrmajik45

Re: Sd card folder

Post by mrmajik45 »

I went to the terminal and went to the root "/" directory and tried to go to "/media/ghostslayer989"
and got:
cd: permission denied: ghostslayer989
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I have to be root to go to the sd card. Seems like linux has some permission issues.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

It sounds like you or your File Manager are trying to mount the MBR of the card (/dev/sdb) instead of looking for a partition (/dev/sdb1). That's where the odd 'partition1' text comes from.

It's normal for a FAT file system to belong to the user that mounts it, since FAT has no place for a real owner ID. If you mount a partition manually, it has to be done by root and it will be owned by root.

Any Mint File Manager can show you the mountable 'foreign' file systems and will take care of the permissions so that it looks like you own it exclusively. If it's not done with a simple mount command, that can mean not even root is allowed to look at it.

"Seems like Linux has some permission issues." Yes. To stop incompetent or malicious software from damaging the OS.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Actually i just set the permissions to ghostslayer989 (me) and it worked

Return to “Hardware Support”