Dell touch pad is out of controll

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redhand

Dell touch pad is out of controll

Post by redhand »

i cant seem to get the touchpad to chillout. if i look at it wrong it moves the mouse or sends a click?
it is way to sensitive...i dont think palm detection is working.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
red

description: Notebook
product: Inspiron 5567 (0767)
vendor: Dell Inc.
serial: 7G80L22
width: 64 bits

DELL0767:00 06CB:7E92 Touchpad
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad

RELEASE=18.3
CODENAME=sylvia
EDITION="MATE 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia"
DESKTOP=MATE
TOOLKIT=GTK
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Dell touch pad is out of controll

Post by Pjotr »

I have the same problem on one particular laptop.... For a while, the touchpad behaves like it should. Then it just goes crazy. No other word for it.

I've tried a lot of things, besides the obvious experiments with the touchpad settings. You might try whether a kernel upgrade helps in your case, because that might mean a better driver. Also BIOS updates are worth a try (check the support section of the Dell website).

It all didn't help for me: I've disabled the touchpad on that machine and I only use that laptop now with a mouse. Thankfully my other laptops aren't affected.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

The only thought I have is to look in your bios and see if there is somewhere that allows you to change the trackpad from 'advanced' to 'basic'. My Acer had problems similar to yours plus random mouse and keyboard/screen freezes that went away when I found that bios entry and changed it. For me, it was one of those headshaking moments because I had never seen a bios entry for setting a trackpad's mode and I can't even understand the why. Somehow, the bios setting was conflicting with the kernel drivers, I think. Good luck.
redhand

Post by redhand »

thanks everyone,
i have found that my bios are 5 versions behind. i have updated to the latest bios, and it did not fix the problem.
thank you for the suggestions.
Red
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

redhand wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:55 ami cant seem to get the touchpad to chillout. if i look at it wrong it moves the mouse or sends a click?
DELL0767:00 06CB:7E92 Touchpad
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
...although this support article refers to different Dell models, you might wanna give a try to libinput instead & see if that makes any difference (sample config to get an idea)...

Return to “Hardware Support”