Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TNovember
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] ADL (Furutech) Stratos Alpha DAC

Post by TNovember » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 am

Hello;

I am using Mint 18.3 with the Cinnamon desktop, on a Dell Inspiron 3650 Desktop. I am using the on-board sound output at the moment, but I would like to have better quality sound for listening to music. The kernel is 4.10.0-38, which was the kernel activated as part of the normal installation process.

I used an ASUS Xonar Essence XT on my old desktop with Mint 17.3 XFCE, which worked very well, but requires a PCI slot, and my new set-up has only PCI-e.

I was thinking of using the ASUS Xonar Essence XT-2, but this could also be the opportunity to upgrade to an external USB DAC/Pre-amp.
A suitable device would be the ADL (Furutech) Stratos, however I am not sure if it is compatible with Mint.
Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

The manufacturer's information, available on their website and appearing on various hi-fi websites, says that there are drivers for PC and Mac, but doesn't mention Linux at all.
I could ask the manufacturers, but having become a Mint user a few years ago, I think a lot of manufacturers of various types of hardware are not always the best people to ask, as they have never tried their products with any Linux distro. The absence of any mention of Linux doesn't necessarily mean that any piece of hardware isn't compatible, simply that they provide drivers for the most well-known OS's, so perhaps suitable drivers might already be in the Linux system, as with the ASUS products. So, I would prefer to ask the forum where I might find someone who has actual experience and might kindly share their experience.

I am an ordinary computer/Mint user rather than an expert, so I don't know if there might be more relevant information I could give about my system, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading this, it would be great if you could help!
Regards
Last edited by TNovember on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Re: ADL (Furutech) Stratos Alpha DAC

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 am

You don't say what sort of media you're talking about here. DSD in Linux is an issue ... it's a proprietary format that most players don't support and I'm not convinced the ones that do are all that relliable. Are you talking about 24 bit or Redbook format?

The best way to find out this sorrt of thing is to search "Linux <make/model>" or "Ubuntu <make/model>". But what you'll often find is the basic conversion is fine ... there are well documented open IEC specs for that ... but the special features specific to that model may well not work.

TNovember
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ADL (Furutech) Stratos Alpha DAC

Post by TNovember » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Hoser Rob, Thanks for your reply.
DSD isn't important to me at the moment, I'm just interested in being able to play WAV, FLAC, and mp3, along with cd/dvd from the disc drive, and DVB-T from the tv tuner card.
My computer has become my all-round media centre, it would be good to have a top-quality DAC with pre-amp functionality to connect with a separate power amplifier. The Stratos has analogue inputs to take a signal from a turntable too, so I could use the same system to play vinyl, and have one nicely integrated set-up.

There's a lot of information about sound cards, which I assume is because they are specifically computer components, but there's growing number of DAC/pre-amps becoming available as part of the hi-fi world, with little or no information on compatibility with Linux.

Return to “Hardware Support”