<SOLVED> logitech gaming mice (g502) and linux

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zenzos

<SOLVED> logitech gaming mice (g502) and linux

Post by Zenzos »

Hello

I am pretty new to linux just FYI, i have dabbelt a bit with it but i am no expert.

I got a g502 logitech mouse and want to use the forward and backward buttons to surf but mint doesn't seem to recognize them.

I tried different guides to make them work but they either don'T work or brick the system (creating a xorg.conf made it unbootable until i deleted it, see the linked guide).

This is the guide i have tried https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Al ... se_buttons (and some others) but its for arch so no idea if this is even possible on a debian system.

I also tried this from this forum viewtopic.php?f=49&t=264790&p=1437108&h ... e#p1437108
it did not change anything.

Alot of other guides seem out of date.

They seem to either use xev or evtest, which i do not know enough about it to do it myself.
It seems xev does not reconize the side buttons at all.

evtest (evdev) does recongize them as BTN_EXTRA and BTN_SIDE when i select the mouse but i have no idea how to bind them to functions.
Also evtest sees it as two mice for some reason, where the second one just does not work at all.

My question is if there are any guide or whatever which works on a mint 18.3.

Not having the forward and back buttons usable sucks when you got used to them.

I hope this is not incoherent rambling of a guy who knows nothing.

TY, if anyone can help me.

BR
Zenzos
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gavaudan

Re: logitech gaming mice (g502) and linux

Post by Gavaudan »

It may be your browser. I have a Logitech G703 and the back and forth buttons work in firefox but not in brave (chrome-esque). I can't remember if that difference is present in Windows or not. Hopefully it's as simple as that.
Zenzos

Re: logitech gaming mice (g502) and linux

Post by Zenzos »

firefox behaves the same

but i did come up with a workaround.

I set up a profile using windows where the thumb buttons are bound to alt + left and alt + right (i could find no software for logitech gaming stuff which works in linux, thanks logitech)

and now it works like it should.
BenySLO
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> logitech gaming mice (g502) and linux

Post by BenySLO »

I basically disabled it myself on my mouse Logitech G502

First it worked, but my scroll was a bit to slow so I installed "mousewhell" (or something like that was the script called), so i could set my scroll speed.
Then I installed "Piper" and the buttons were detected on the app, but it still didn't work forward and backward.

After some experimenting I removed the mouse wheel script, and my problem was solved.

Just putting it out there if somebody did the same.

Return to “Hardware Support”