[SOLVED]; wacom intuos pen connected to bluetooth, but does not react to penmovement?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maxandy

[SOLVED]; wacom intuos pen connected to bluetooth, but does not react to penmovement?

Post by maxandy »

Just got my 2018 intuos pentablet yesterday, and was as newby linuxmint user very happy it worked out of the box.
the bluetooth however, although succesfully connected, does not react when moving the pen or pushing the buttons.

I am just starting to get familiar with terms likes packages, bluez, blueman and such, anybody any ideas?
Also what would be the best way to update the bt drivers, are there any wacom like GUI software available to setup the buttons?(howto access the GUI of Kde-config-tablet downloaded in software manager)

my system: CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~899/3800 MHz Kernel~4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 Up~13:20 Mem~2976.9/15932.5MB HDD~1128.2GB(5.2% used) Procs~280 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35

much thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArtGirl

Re: wacom intuos pen connected to bluetooth, but does not react to penmovement?

Post by ArtGirl »

Hi maxandy :-)

First, I'm concerned that you need to be running kernel 4.13 (I'm running 4.13.0-36, while checking if any bugs are reported about the latest 4.13.0-37) ... this kernel is patched for meltdown/spectre, and I don't believe 4.10 is.

Sorry I can't advise about Intuos or bluetooth ... others more in the know should be able to advise. Otherwise, Mint 19 (releasing later this year) may have much newer drivers.

Another option about your pentablet may be to ask on the Digimend site ... https://digimend.github.io/ ... they've become active again, and may well be able to advise.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

can you tell us which Wacom you are using please?

Post by pdc_2 »

so Max; would you be willing to tell us the model number etc of your Wacom tablet; there seem to me to be so few folks who use these tablets; and so many now seem to work when one plugs them in; that there never seems a huge number of folks leaping in to make suggestions; Artgirl seems to be a very proficient user of tablets; great to have that experience on the forum;

When one googles on wacom and ubuntu etc, one finds many sites have been very quiet since 2015 or earlier;

In Mint, the version Cinnamon has an icon to configure tablets; Mate does not; there was talk that Clem might have some time to do some work on more tablet support in Mint; I haven't heard if his other many pressing duties have allowed that;

We have a CTH-680 Intuos and it just seems to work; in my very limited capabilities
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Thanks pdc_2 :-) and I agree that many other devices ... Ugee, Yiynova, Huion, XP-Pen, etc ... are becoming very popular. Using the Ugee 2150 myself, I can vouch for how good it is, plus I tested the Huion 1060 Pro, and that also was plug and play. I've adapted to mirroring screens, and the Ugee pen just works fine without configuring. Very simple and easy to use.

There's this review I've just found of the newest Intuos ... https://www.tabletsforartists.com/wacom-intuos-2018/ ... and I note the previous Intuos had a wifi kit you could use to connect wirelessly. I have no clue at all about these devices, so am not sure if suggesting trying to use that with the new device might work? Otherwise, it may well be necessary to wait for new kernels and drivers, with it being the newest Intuos.
maxandy

Post by maxandy »

much gratitude for your insights, artgirl and pdc_2, really appreciated since I am new to "forumming".
Also thanks for sending the links, Digimend is a keeper.

Just updated the kernel to : Kernel~4.13.0-37-generic, still showing connected, but no movement yet sadly.
It is the basic Intuos Wacom pen, model :CTL-4100WL, the design is very compact so it will be really great to use this device wireless.

I also checked to send and receive files with my JBL bluetooth headphone, which also perfectly paired and connected, but did not receive sound.

And when connecting my android phone, I can receive files on the phone but when sending files with the phone, I get an download interrupted message when pressing accept file on the laptop and the download folder stays empty. ( the download folder is assigned as download directory).

Could it be a bluetooth issue, where my laptop is not able to receive files and 'pen input data' while also not being able to send 'audio data'?
Which command lines are to be used to check and resolve this?
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

maxandy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 pm much gratitude for your insights, artgirl and pdc_2, really appreciated since I am new to "forumming".
Also thanks for sending the links, Digimend is a keeper.

Just updated the kernel to : Kernel~4.13.0-37-generic, still showing connected, but no movement yet sadly.

Could it be a bluetooth issue, where my laptop is not able to receive files and 'pen input data' while also not being able to send 'audio data'?
Which command lines are to be used to check and resolve this?
No problem, and, yes, it's exciting that Digimend have started up again and are such an informative site. Great about kernel update; you're as protected from meltdown and spectre as possible right now (along with latest microcode update).

It very much sounds like a bluetooth issue; sorry I'm not able to assist with that, but there are others who will be able to advise. If you can copy/paste the results of typing 'inxi -Fxz' into terminal, people will be able to see what could help with your bluetooth connection ... select the '</>' in the buttons above text, to paste the results as code text in your post.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

can you just use a usb cable; whilst attempting to sort bluetooth;

you might be best to start a new thread; that is called "bluetooth problems" or somesuch; .... folks seeing wacom tablet in this current thread may just see it as a config issue for the tablet ...........
maxandy

Post by maxandy »

Yes, already using the usb cable connection, and using it fully also as a mouse hoping to resolve light RSI problems.

Good idea, I better close this thread, and open one with the topic bluetooth issue.

Cheers!

Return to “Hardware Support”