Looking for New Hard drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Looking for New Hard drive

Post by marcia »

Hello All,

I am preparing to upgrade to LM xfce 18.3. I have LM 17.3 Rosa on a 4TB toshiba drive. I plan to
purchase a 5-8TB drive and put LM xfce 18.3 on it. The 4TB drive will be for storage. I am leaning
towards this drive: HGST Ultrastar He8 HUH728080ALE600 (0F25739) 8TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb_s 3.5" Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Disk Drives Bare Drive. Found this at Newegg. According to BACKBLAZE they are very reliable followed by Toshiba.

How are enterprise drives different from consumer drives, NAS drives, surveillance drives, etc? A few say it is just
a marketing scheme, but most say there is a big difference. I am no expert at all, but wish to get
a reliable long lasting 7200rpm 5-8TB SATA 6 drive to run my main LM OS.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Marcia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Looking for New Hard drive

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Enterprise drives are generally verified as true capacity before they leave the factory. I believe they are also "burned-in", something not done very often any more. Burn-in means the device is operated for a number of hours, with each 8 hour block defined as a certain amount of thousands of hours MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). I am not sure Toshiba does this, this is going by old-school methods. I also don't know whether or not they go through write testing to any great degree.

However, as you said that drive testing organization tests and collects data from all over, and the Toshiba drives always perform better than almost all others.

I was looking into it as my next drive as well.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Sorry...Hitachi...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and information. Very soon, I plan to purchase the HGST 8TB I mentioned previously. Many in reviews say it is fast, cool, quiet, and reliable.
Sounds good to me. I am happy with the HGST 2T that I use for storage. This new one will run Linuxmint.

Sincerely,

Marcia

Return to “Hardware Support”