Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Trouble diagnosing error

Post by chiefjim » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Odd happenings. I’ve been using this desktop, Intel Pentium CPU G3258, for quite sometime to create Mint live flash drives. Just recently began noticing a warning “MACHINE CHECK ERROR” when booting from the flash drive. Have used both UNetbootin and USB Image Writer and got the same result.

If I use that exact same flash drive on my desktop #2, AMD Athlon II X3 425, the drive boots perfectly. If I recreate the same image using the AMD machine the flash drive boots perfectly on the Intel box.

The Intel box has the most current BIOS version. In suspecting power supply or motherboard as prime candidates as the source of this problem. Wishing there were a application capable of doing system diagnostic tests.

Any ideas regarding what else should be checked before sinking funds into another base system?

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Trouble diagnosing error

Post by catweazel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:04 am

chiefjim wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 pm
Any ideas regarding what else should be checked before sinking funds into another base system?
Try disabling secure boot and Vt-d.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Trouble diagnosing error

Post by chiefjim » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

catweazel wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:04 am
chiefjim wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 pm
Try disabling secure boot and Vt-d.
Thank you. That appears to be the resolution but I want more time for testing before I mark the thread solved.

Wondering why after prolonged use with no problems how this suddenly occurred? Also the system in general now feels somewhat slower.

Return to “Hardware Support”