Mint and Canon (Printers, Cameras...)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gerstacker

Mint and Canon (Printers, Cameras...)

Post by Gerstacker »

Dear friends,

I have read here and there that Canon is not a good idea for Linux users because the hardware isn't supported, and just wanted to confirm here whether that is really the case or not.

I am currently looking to purchase the following items, to use in (hopefully) harmony with my Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (and soon 19 Whatever) mainframe:

Canon PIXMA TS9050 AIO printer
Canon Powershot G9 Mark II camera

Would these items work or should I take my garbage to st. elsewhere?

/G
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon supply deb and rpm drivers for inkjet devices

Post by pdc_2 »

"I have read here and there that Canon is not a good idea for Linux users" ..... those prehistoric myths would have been told around campfires when dinosaurs roamed the earth; now is different;

for the TS9150, if you go here to the Canon Asia site, http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 10801.html there is the latest version of the driver cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz that was released 8th Dec 2017; the UFR driver for lasers was updated 10th Feb this year; to cope with Ubuntu 17.10 and its innovative issues. The CAPT driver was updated late last year too ........

if you buy this TS printer, come back here and I can post the 3 commands that will install the driver and set it up for you;

_________

all the Canon cameras will work fine; we have one of the EOS series; by habit, I just take the SD card out; plug it into the SD slot on the computer; I guess the newest one will do wireless to the computer;

so you should be fine; old myths just keep lurking in the dark shadows ........
Gerstacker

Re: Mint and Canon (Printers, Cameras...)

Post by Gerstacker »

Dear pdc_2,

thank you so much for your reply!

My Canon TS9020 has indeed arrived today!

Should I go to the link you gave me, and download something, and what are the commands?

Thankful for any further help you may be able to give me,

/G
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Gerstacker

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Most smart printer manufacturers realize that a lot of their users now use Linux and Linux Mint, and thankfully they provide drivers.

Drivers for your new printer are also in the link below, select "debian" (deb) drivers (01/27/2017) the link provided by "pdc_2" may be newer drivers, but either should work.
Support | TS Series - Inkjet | PIXMA TS9020 | Canon USA
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... _downloads

Install the printer driver first (cnijfilter), then the scangear (scanner) software second. When you download the file(s) they are in an archive file, just bring up your file manager, locate the file(s) and right-click select extract here, get into their folder and under the "packages" subfolder are the "deb" installation files for 64-bit (amd64) or 32-bit (i386), just double-click the file to install it. reboot afterward.

Printer driver folder "cnijfilter2-5.40-1-deb" from my link or "cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb" from "pdc_2" link

Scanner software folder is "scangearmp2-3.40-1-deb"

Hope this helps ...
Canon_TS9020-1.jpg
Canon_TS9020-2.jpg
Canon_TS9020-3.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Gerstacker;

so there are often many ways to tackle a task in linux: to illustrate that:

so another way to install is just copy commands; and paste them into a terminal; so for your driver, one could suggest doing here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 10801.html and click to download and save what is cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz

if you copy each command below; paste into a terminal; hit the ENTER key; and repeat

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz

cd cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb
then one runs the install script

sudo ./install.sh
some like using the GUI: some like terminals: we offer you choice as best we can!!
Gerstacker

Post by Gerstacker »

Thank you so much for your help guys!

I was able finally to find the printer via terminal and have even given it a name, this after installing the package from the Asian help desk given by pdc_2. So Linux Mint supposedly already can connect to the printer.

Yet in the printer details (when I go to "Printers" in Mint, then select the printer, and right-click "Properties,") it says: "Processing: preparing for printing..." and hasn't moved from there.

When I send printing jobs to the printer, nothing happens, and this even when the printer is connected to my Linux Mint system via USB.

/G

EDIT
I was able to print with my iPhone after installing "Canon Print" App, and by uploading what I needed to get printed to iCloud, so the problem isn't the printer...
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon TS9020 install

Post by pdc_2 »

can you open a terminal; and paste or type

lpinfo -v
please; if you copy the result and paste it back here: there will be lots of lines; but if you give all please;

if you open the PRINTERS folder; (it is usually inside the ADMINISTRATION folder): .. how many icons are there for the TS please? If one; or more than one; can you right-click on each; select PROPERTIES; then look in MAKE & MODEL

if you again can copy what is there; (you may need to drag the window to the right to see all the text ...): and if you paste back here what you get;

_______-

so you used the install script that I suggested? and it all went smoothly?

can you also start at teh bottom left: MENU; then up to HOME FOLDER: then at the left of that, drop down about three to FILE SYSTEM: open that; look for the folder DEV;

with the TS turned off, do you see a sub-folder in dev called usb? If so open; if none there, TURN ON the TS; see if a usb folder appears; does it now have an icon within it that says lp0? ...... that is lpzero ..
Telyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Telyx »

As far as the camera goes, I haven't had any problems getting my SX130IS, SX50HS, and SX620HS to connect using Mint 18.1. Plug the cable in, press the review button on the camera, and the SD card opens as a removable drive. Same with my Nikon DSLRs.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Gerstacker wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:18 am Thank you so much for your help guys!

I was able finally to find the printer via terminal and have even given it a name, this after installing the package from the Asian help desk given by pdc_2. So Linux Mint supposedly already can connect to the printer.

Yet in the printer details (when I go to "Printers" in Mint, then select the printer, and right-click "Properties,") it says: "Processing: preparing for printing..." and hasn't moved from there.

When I send printing jobs to the printer, nothing happens, and this even when the printer is connected to my Linux Mint system via USB.

/G

EDIT
I was able to print with my iPhone after installing "Canon Print" App, and by uploading what I needed to get printed to iCloud, so the problem isn't the printer...
First have a look at CUPS and see if the printer appears there, and then set it up under the "Administration" selection...can't remember which tab...

Then go into the Mint Control Panel and go to Printers and make sure it appears there, then make sure it is "Published" (I believe is what it says) and then do a test print from there.

Canon printers are NOT easy in Linux, even when they DO supply drivers (it's good to see they are providing some support again...) unless the driver is provided in Gutenprint, and not all are. My Pro-100 is a 45 pound paperweight in Linux.

When you get it working, try printing a photo and let us (me) know how it looks. I have an iP6700 that can print in Linux thanks to Gutenprint, but the output is not always the best. It works great in Windows. :(
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Hardware Support”