Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

Two old computers

Post by oxygenfarm » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm

A friend recently gave me an old Daktech DTDY7 which has an Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 processor, an Nvidia G98 card, and 4 GB RAM...and a total of 5 fans! It seems a sturdy business machine, solidly made. After putting a small SSD in, it gives a Blowfish test of 3.25. (To play with it I installed MX17)

My current desktop is a Gateway SX2380 with an AMD A4-5300 cpu and built in graphics, also with 4 GB RAM, showing Blowfish 6.52.
My preferred OS is Mate 18.3. Should I even dream of using this Daktech as my main machine?

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Two old computers

Post by Pierre » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 pm

you should be able to run LinuxMint Mate on that Daktech.
8)
or you could go with either MX17x / XFCE or LM18x / XFCE as either should work equally well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:59 pm

oxygenfarm wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm
A friend recently gave me an old Daktech DTDY7 which has an Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 processor, an Nvidia G98 card, and 4 GB RAM...and a total of 5 fans! It seems a sturdy business machine, solidly made. After putting a small SSD in, it gives a Blowfish test of 3.25. (To play with it I installed MX17)

My current desktop is a Gateway SX2380 with an AMD A4-5300 cpu and built in graphics, also with 4 GB RAM, showing Blowfish 6.52.
My preferred OS is Mate 18.3. Should I even dream of using this Daktech as my main machine?
Wow. I have been in the industry for over 30 years and have never heard of them! (I looked them up)
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oxygenfarm » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am

Gateway was a brand built by, I believe, Acer: mine is about 8 years old.
Daktech is a small company out in the Wild West of USA, making sturdy machines for business and education.

rene
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rene » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:35 am

oxygenfarm wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm
Should I even dream of using this Daktech as my main machine?
Dream, sure, but you'd undoubtedly find the Daktech slower for desktop use. The 4 cores of the Q8400 vs. 2 of the A4-5300 will account for the better Blowfish score but won't be normal. With these days also for example Firefox making better use of multiple processes and cores it's not for naught, but you're still going to have a hard time finding anything as effectively parallelised as blowfish -- and then the 2.66 GHz of the Q8400 vs. 3.4 of the A4-5300 comes into play. Also see http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Qua ... MD-A4-5300: bit better on general performance, significantly worse on per-core performance.

Also, your A4-5300's embedded Radeon HD 7480D will blow the pants off of an Nvidia G98 (GeForce 9300) even given the shared memory situation of the former -- although that's not as important for desktop use. The Nvidia would also be good enough for desktop use, including for Cinnamon. I'm typing this on a Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz) with Intel integrated graphics, 4G RAM, an SSD and Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. Works fine, and your Daktech would be appreciably faster. Still, wouldn't want it as my main machine, and believe you shouldn't downgrade from your Gateway either.

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 am

oxygenfarm wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am
Gateway was a brand built by, I believe, Acer: mine is about 8 years old.
Daktech is a small company out in the Wild West of USA, making sturdy machines for business and education.
Are they still even making Gateways? They used to be in Wisconsin I think, then got sold to of all companies E-Machines. Then they were sold to Acer and I believe that was the end.

We were repairing Gateways for a company in the Midwest. They sold to colleges and universities either direct or through the schools, and they also would sell complete systems to doctors and dentists with their software as a complete solution to billing and patient tracking.
One day I got a call from my supervisor. I had just repaired 3 desktops and wound up with 2 good motherboards and 2 good CPUs, and had 2 laptops to do.I finished the first and then headed to New Hampshire for the second when he called, and he said "Do NOT return any parts to Gateway, and you have to finish by 5 PM". When I got to the client in NH it was something incredibly stupid and I used no parts at all, so for a Gateway 410 laptop I had a good motherboard, a complete set of plastics and a screen in good condition, because the guy had gunked it up with stickers and wanted a clean top since he was graduating. We never did plastics on the Gateways, it was always the complete assembly.

I found out later the reason for not returning parts was because Gateway had been sold to Acer that day (well, you know...China, Dateline, etc). I also found out the company contracting with Gateway was in Minnesota and at one time had been known as Micron Computer. It was the blow that pretty much killed them.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:43 am

I use a similar machine as my main desktop. It is an HP dc7800 SFF, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 GHz, AMD 2 GB Radeon R200 graphics, 8 GB Kingston DDR 2 low profile RAM (4 x 2), onboard NIC, onboard sound, Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD (os and apps), 240 GB SanDisk Plus SSD for storage and an LG super multi blue ray drive.

It is not as powerful as my shiny new laptop but I love the build quality of some of the older business class desktops. I bought the HP for $100.00 from a large chain electronics seller, it was refurbished. I upgraded the system with mostly stuff that was laying around the house. I did shell out the cash for the SSD drives but they are worth every penny for how much they improve the computer.
oxygenfarm wrote: ⤴
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 pm
Should I even dream of using this Daktech as my main machine?
My answer is sure, why not?

My HP is running Ubuntu 18.04 development and it performs great. I see no reason why the machine you have would not run just as nice! :)

Return to “Hardware Support”