Cinnamon/Mint Crash with TV/Monitor Setup

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
im_ryan

Cinnamon/Mint Crash with TV/Monitor Setup

Post by im_ryan »

First of all, apologies if this is posted on the wrong thread. I think this is a hardware or driver problem, but I am honestly not sure.

PC Build:
Fresh install of Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (only downloaded the Arc Theme, Cario Dock, an icon pack and Visual Studio Code)
i5-4690K CPU (not currently overclocked)
MSI GTX 1060 6GB GPU

Monitors:
Acer Predator XB241H (144hz connected via DP)
Dell Ultrasharp U2415 (60hz connected via DP)
Vizio 40" TV (60hz connected via HDMI)
**All connected to the same GPU

Problem: When I attempt to set up my TV in the settings (align all monitors in the correct position, assign the primary monitor and then click "Apply") I get a slue of issues. The first time I did this, my PC froze and then I got a black screen on both my TV and monitors. I had to hard shut down my pc. When I turned it back on again I got a grub error saying the partition was not found or something like that. I ended up fixing everything, but took me an hour of Googling. Now if I try to set up the monitors again my computer freezes for about a minute, then my TV and monitor glitch out (they each show half of the screen, but in a weird gradient of pixels) and then either my monitor goes black and my TV takes over or visa versa. Cinnamon always crashes and then goes into a virtual mode or something, and when I try to change the display settings it says I'm in laptop mode? No laptop is connected, I assume it is something to do with the Cinnamon crash. Also, none of my display settings are saved, and if I restart my computer it will default to my TV during start up.

What Should Happen: On Windows I have one of my monitors set as my main, and I use my TV to watch movies if I want to lay on my bed. I would love to get the same setup on Mint. I am setting up an all-in-one theater/gaming/work station for my room, so getting the TV up and running would be just be icing on the cake.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Dual Monitor Setup Crashes Mint

Post by Pierre »

it can be done:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=265883
that's just one way, though.

you do need to pick your hardware carefully, though.
- you'r mixing a TV with a display screen, and that combo is tricky, even with the Windows System.
it may be more prudent, to have matching or similar display screens, and feed them both with DisplayPort(s).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
im_ryan

Post by im_ryan »

Pierre wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm it can be done:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=265883
that's just one way, though.

you do need to pick your hardware carefully, though.
- you'r mixing a TV with a display screen, and that combo is tricky, even with the Windows System.
it may be more prudent, to have matching or similar display screens, and feed them both with DisplayPort(s).
Thank you for the fast reply, I will check out the link.

Both monitors and my TV are the same 1920x1080, the only difference is the refresh rate. I never had a problem with running a TV on Windows (been doing that for years).
Do you think the two monitors will be similar enough? Both will be run on DP, about the same size, same resolution, but different refresh rate. This is my first time attempting a dual display setup on Linux, I had colleague talking smack when he discovered I had stopped using Linux some time ago. All I was told is that is was easier to do in Linux. Guess I should have done my homework first haha.

Also, I can tone down the refresh rate on my Acer, that's no problem. I only need the 144hz when gaming anyways. Will that help? Or is it more of the size of the TV and/or the fact that it's a TV that's the issue?

Edit: I should clarify that both my TV and monitor are hooked up to my GPU, not my motherboard. Your tutorial is for hooking up one to my motherboard. Do I have to do it this way? My GPU can support 3 displays...
Edit 2: On Windows I did have to change the Nvidia settings in its own control panel, but I do not see any such thing on Mint. Is that something I need to edit or download to update?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I, too have a similar setup to you Ryan, with a monitor and TV connected to an nVidia card, Both work well at their native resolutions with the desktop extended across the two. Linux, in the past has had trouble with nVidia cards and, although they have come a long way. I'm not certain that they are there yet. My problem (as asked in this thread) is similar in that Linux freezes solid on that machine yet is as solid as a rock on my other machines. There has been some mention in my searching that the standard nVidia drivers may not be as good as others, however, as a relative newbie, I have not yet investigated that, nor worked out how to "update them" (I'm guessing that the correct drivers may not be in the traditional file repository, but, as I said, that is only a GUESS)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
im_ryan

Post by im_ryan »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 am I, too have a similar setup to you Ryan, with a monitor and TV connected to an nVidia card, Both work well at their native resolutions with the desktop extended across the two. Linux, in the past has had trouble with nVidia cards and, although they have come a long way. I'm not certain that they are there yet. My problem (as asked in this thread) is similar in that Linux freezes solid on that machine yet is as solid as a rock on my other machines. There has been some mention in my searching that the standard nVidia drivers may not be as good as others, however, as a relative newbie, I have not yet investigated that, nor worked out how to "update them" (I'm guessing that the correct drivers may not be in the traditional file repository, but, as I said, that is only a GUESS)
Yeah it seems like it. After I first build this pc a few years ago I jumped into Linux for the first time since Jr High. Everything was so nice and updated...but I eventually realized that I couldn't get my videos to play properly (see my previous thread here that is still unsolved). At least now so far with this updated version of Mint I am not seeing the video issue so far. I REALLY want to like Linux, because I hate Windows...but I just don't have the time to tinker with things like I used to. Sad day.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

After my reply to your OP I went and looked in driver manager and found some updated nVidia drivers there. I just updated those and so far, all seems well. Give it another 48 hours and I might think that I'm onto a winner. :D
Fully mint Household
im_ryan

Post by im_ryan »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:46 pm After my reply to your OP I went and looked in driver manager and found some updated nVidia drivers there. I just updated those and so far, all seems well. Give it another 48 hours and I might think that I'm onto a winner. :D
Hopefully it works out for you
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It did work. No more frozen desktops. :D
Fully mint Household
im_ryan

Post by im_ryan »

So just an update, after installing my second monitor all works fine (my drivers are still screwed, but that's probably my fault from trying the possible 'solutions'). I guess Mint just doesn't like my TV or the HDMI/DP at the same time...

I'll reinstall Mint to fix my driver issues and I should be good.

I'll leave this thread open just in case anyone knows how to get around the issue with either TV or two different input connectors.

Return to “Hardware Support”