[SOLVED] Size of log in screen does not fit

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InvisibleGhost

[SOLVED] Size of log in screen does not fit

Post by InvisibleGhost »

Hi guys :)

here is the

Code: Select all

inxi -Fz
output for the beginning

Code: Select all

System:    Host: bjoerns-ProBook Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7  Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: HP (portable) product: HP ProBook 450 G3
           Mobo: HP model: 8101 v: KBC Version 40.71
           Bios: HP v: N78 Ver. 01.19 date: 10/17/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 2400 MHz 3: 2400 MHz
           4: 2400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 520
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.06hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (19.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010A9 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 238G used: 65G (29%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 16.38GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.5C mobo: 0.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 259 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 5603.1/24000.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 
I have the following problem: Something does not seem right with my graphics. Having the login screen, sometimes (around 50% of the times) my screen is not fully filled with context (first picture attached).
When logged in I sometimes see two screens in the overwiew, but there is obviously no second screen plugged in (second picture attached). During normal use, and not having the weird ` Unbekannt DP1` screen deactivated, my whole screen sometimes shifts to the right out of my screen and instantly back (I unfortunately do not have a screencast of this).
I obviously do not have an external monitor plugged in.

Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem? Could it be a hardware issue?

Beste regards
InvisibleShadowGhost
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Size of log in screen does not fit

Post by ClixTrix »

The first thing I notice is some missing elements in the Graphics section of inxi.

Graphics: Card: Intel HD Graphics 520
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.06hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8

That line should show.

Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)

This doesn't look correct and suggests an install problem.

Are you using the default drivers that come bundled with Mint, or did you download and install drivers from Intel (or elsewhere)?

Here's another Forum post with inxi on your specific system showing the correct install set.

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=263806&p=1430011& ... 3#p1430011
InvisibleGhost

Post by InvisibleGhost »

Hey, thanks for your fast reply.

Yes, I use the Intel drivers (https://01.org/linuxgraphics/).
I first also taught about a driver problem, so I switched from the Mint drivers to the Intel drivers a few weeks ago. But that did not give me a solution for this problem.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Well, Ubuntu/Mint already has the correct Intel drivers bundled and no install from Intel is necessary. That might account for the missing Frame Buffer and VESA drivers.
InvisibleGhost

Post by InvisibleGhost »

But the problem occurred with the Mint drivers and does also occur with the Intel drivers. Could it not be something different?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

InvisibleGhost wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:08 pm But the problem occurred with the Mint drivers and does also occur with the Intel drivers. Could it not be something different?
My guess is Yes. When did you initially install Mint, as I see some older posts regarding that Laptop by you back to December....also with video problems.

Two suggestions:

1. Fresh install of Mint 18.3

2. Repair Install of Mint 18.3 (selected during Setup)

After either, I'd simply replace Kernel 4.10 (bundled) with either the 4.4 or 4.13 Kernel (lastest) from Update Manager and then add all the service updates (again from Update Manger).

However, it could also be a hardware problem. If you boot from a Mint 18.3 LiveCD/Flash drive, do you have problems?
InvisibleGhost

Post by InvisibleGhost »

Linux Mint is installed around one year for now (started with 18.1).
Just jumping back to a 4.4.x Kernel did not solve the desrciped problem....

I just made a Mint 18.3 USB stick yesterday and started Mint from it. Until now, it seems like there are no video issues, at least in the live session.

So what would be the way to choose for now? Would it bother my dual boot Windows if i made a reinstallation?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

InvisibleGhost wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 am Linux Mint is installed around one year for now (started with 18.1).
Just jumping back to a 4.4.x Kernel did not solve the desrciped problem....

I just made a Mint 18.3 USB stick yesterday and started Mint from it. Until now, it seems like there are no video issues, at least in the live session.

So what would be the way to choose for now? Would it bother my dual boot Windows if i made a reinstallation?
No, it should not bother the Windows install. During Setup, select the same partitions for the reinstall as your current pattern, i.e. root boot home etc. Obviously, BACKUP your data first (including Windows). I never assume things can't go wrong in doing this kind of work, so I always proceed with appropriate measures for any contingency.

The recommendation for Kernel wasn't to fix the problem, but as part of the reinstall to provide a stable-secure-supported result. The bundled 4.10 is no longer getting updates from Ubuntu. The 4.4 Kernel is LTS (Long-Term-Support) and getting updates. The 4.13 Kernel is currently getting updates, but is not LTS, so won't eventually continue to get updates.
InvisibleGhost

Post by InvisibleGhost »

Well, it looks like I found the problem and fixed it:
The display wire wan't attached properly at the mainboard and was quite in there.

Now, nearly a week after fixing, everything stills works fine.

Return to “Hardware Support”