battery not charging

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KrisHolt

battery not charging

Post by KrisHolt »

I read something about shutting down, unplugging a/c adaptor, removing battery, holding down power button for a full minute.
Now plug in the AC adaptor without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open the Windows control panel, open the Device Manager, expand the entry for batteries, right-click on the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall. When the the uninstall in complete, shut the PC down, unplug the a/c adaptor,, re-insert the battery, and then start the PC just on the battery. Windows will automatically reinstall the driver --leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shutdown the PC again. Now plug in the AC adaptor (with the battery still inserted) and start the notebook.

Now sure how I can do this when I have installed Mint Linux 18.3 over it and wiped it out.

Here's my PC stats:
kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~ $ acpi -i
Battery 0: Unknown, 0%, rate information unavailable
Battery 0: design capacity 2850 mAh, last full capacity 2918 mAh = 100%
kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: HP product: HP Laptop 15-bs0xx v: Type1ProductConfigId
Mobo: HP model: 832A v: 23.40 Bios: Insyde v: F.24 date: 09/25/2017
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-7200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10848
clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 2700 MHz 2: 2700 MHz 3: 2700 MHz
4: 2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Device 5916 bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.09hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-37-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek Device d723
driver: rtl8723de v: v5.1.1.8_21285.20171026 port: 3000
bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 9.8G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
ID-2: /boot size: 473M used: 387M (87%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.50GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 39.5C mobo: 29.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 232 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 1639.0/7894.6MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~ $
Last edited by SMG on Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking 4-yr-old topic to prevent new posts from being added.
ClixTrix

Re: battery not charging

Post by ClixTrix »

So, ACPI doesn't report "charging". Is that the concern?

How about getting a second opinion from upower. Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results.

Code: Select all

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
KrisHolt

Post by KrisHolt »

Note, I left my laptop running all night with all Power Options to 'Suspend' set to 'Never' and still 0% battery charge.

Here's my upower command results:

kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~ $ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
native-path: (null)
power supply: no
updated: Wed 31 Dec 1969 06:00:00 PM CST (1521808976 seconds ago)
has history: no
has statistics: no
unknown
warning-level: unknown
icon-name: '(null)'

ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

What does the following command report?

upower -e -d
KrisHolt

Post by KrisHolt »

kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~ $ upower -e -d
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ACAD
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice
Daemon:
daemon-version: 0.99.4
on-battery: no
lid-is-closed: no
lid-is-present: yes
critical-action: PowerOff
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1

OK...my guess was wrong as to battery name. I guessed 0 and it's 1. The "-e" on the command was to enumerate all power devices.

Try the following command and post back the results.

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
KrisHolt

Post by KrisHolt »

Thanks for your help, here's the command results:

kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~ $ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
native-path: BAT1
vendor: Hewlett-Packard
model: PABAS0241231
serial: 41167
power supply: yes
updated: Fri 23 Mar 2018 02:33:58 PM CDT (54 seconds ago)
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: charging
warning-level: none
energy: 0 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 31.9521 Wh
energy-full-design: 31.2075 Wh
energy-rate: 0 W
voltage: 7.379 V
percentage: 0%
capacity: 100%
technology: lithium-ion
icon-name: 'battery-caution-charging-symbolic'

kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: charging
warning-level: none
energy: 0 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 31.9521 Wh
energy-full-design: 31.2075 Wh
energy-rate: 0 W
voltage: 7.379 V
percentage: 0%
capacity: 100%

The numbers I've highlighted in red suggest the battery has been fully discharged and the voltage appears low (to me). I'm not a battery expert, but I know that a Lithium Ion battery should never be fully discharged or it will damage the battery.

If it's no longer taking a charge, it probably is damaged and needs replacement. Is the battery also getting VERY HOT when you leave it plugged in?
KrisHolt

Post by KrisHolt »

I don't recall the battery ever getting hot. Since I just started using the laptop new in January 18, or so, the battery seemed like it did not hold a charge long enough.

I also strongly suspect a defective battery. I would get the battery charged to 100% and maybe not use the laptop for a week and the battery needed to be completely charged again and I had never used the laptop. Just seems defective to me too. Just wanted to trouble shoot as best as possible before I go to HP and ask for a replacement since my laptop is still under warranty.

Thanks for your help. I wanted to verify there weren't any device drivers not connecting or working.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

KrisHolt wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:53 pm I read something about shutting down, unplugging a/c adaptor, removing battery, holding down power button for a full minute.
Now plug in the AC adaptor without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open the Windows control panel, open the Device Manager, expand the entry for batteries, right-click on the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall. When the the uninstall in complete, shut the PC down, unplug the a/c adaptor,, re-insert the battery, and then start the PC just on the battery. Windows will automatically reinstall the driver --leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shutdown the PC again. Now plug in the AC adaptor (with the battery still inserted) and start the notebook.

Now sure how I can do this when I have installed Mint Linux 18.3 over it and wiped it out.

Here's my PC stats:
kholt@kholt-HP-Laptop-15-bs0xx ~ $ acpi -i
This is the interesting part. It reports the charge rate is unknown, and yet tells us the battery's design capacity and last full charge state.

This would indicate the circuit that monitors the battery is OK, but that perhaps the charging circuit has seen better days.

The only way to check is to try another battery, or try yours in another machine. Dells used to have a button on the battery and when you pressed it the battery would tell you the charge state. If three LEDs (one, three and five) lit up then the battery was done for. Does yours have this test function?

I'd go on eBay and look for a used battery. I have used them a few times, and never had an issue with one.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

A laptop left in Sleep/Suspend would continue to use and drain the battery. That's the only normal reason I can think of to explain why it would lose charge in a week. A laptop in full power-down or hibernate shouldn't discharge that quickly, although long storage would have some natural charge loss.

You might need to RMA the laptop and not just the battery. I would discuss it with HP and see what they recommend.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

KrisHolt wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:11 pm I don't recall the battery ever getting hot. Since I just started using the laptop new in January 18, or so, the battery seemed like it did not hold a charge long enough.

I also strongly suspect a defective battery. I would get the battery charged to 100% and maybe not use the laptop for a week and the battery needed to be completely charged again and I had never used the laptop. Just seems defective to me too. Just wanted to trouble shoot as best as possible before I go to HP and ask for a replacement since my laptop is still under warranty.

Thanks for your help. I wanted to verify there weren't any device drivers not connecting or working.

So, this is a new laptop? HP should warranty the battery for a year. Contact them and they will probably have you run a test or two to determine the state of the battery. From the info given I'd say it's definitely the battery (I hadn't read the other post before I gave my last response...)

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
KrisHolt

Post by KrisHolt »

HP told me that since I do not have Windows installed anymore they cannot run the diagnostics for the battery in the BIOS by pressing F2 and they will not give me a replacement battery although my pc is still under warranty! Apparently Windows 10 had some diagostics to test the battery and I'm guessing maybe the adaptor/charger too.

My battery would charge up prior to shut down. I would shut down the PC a week or more and upon reboot, the battery was very weak and this kept dwindling down. There was this slow, declining spiral with the battery charge upon reboot and how long it held.

SO I'm screwed.
Yes, indeed if I had a friend with the same laptop I could put my battery in and see if it's the battery, charger, or something else.

All ideas are appreciated yet to save money on fixing this problem. And I still think Mint Linux is superior to Windows 10 by a long shot!
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I feel your pain on this problem.

Did you consider using dual-boot on the system and retaining Win10? You could still do that and keep HP happy for the warranty and troubleshooting. You can download and build the Win10 ISO and reinstall using a portion of the drive, leaving sufficient space for Mint. Here's where you can download Win10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

KrisHolt wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm HP told me that since I do not have Windows installed anymore they cannot run the diagnostics for the battery in the BIOS by pressing F2 and they will not give me a replacement battery although my pc is still under warranty! Apparently Windows 10 had some diagostics to test the battery and I'm guessing maybe the adaptor/charger too.

My battery would charge up prior to shut down. I would shut down the PC a week or more and upon reboot, the battery was very weak and this kept dwindling down. There was this slow, declining spiral with the battery charge upon reboot and how long it held.

SO I'm screwed.
Yes, indeed if I had a friend with the same laptop I could put my battery in and see if it's the battery, charger, or something else.

All ideas are appreciated yet to save money on fixing this problem. And I still think Mint Linux is superior to Windows 10 by a long shot!
Call back and see if you can get a representative that knows what the h :shock: ll he is talking about!

The operating system installed has absolutely NO BEARING on this! You press the F2 key WHILE THE BIOS IS LOADING, LONG before the OS starts! You are interrupting the boot process, bypassing OS load and going straight into a 'hidden' partition on the hard drive that stores the diagnostic tools!

You must have gotten someone in the Philippines reading from a script. Most of those people, while not idiots (much), aren't really techies, either. I used to have to deal with them working with Dell...that's what they gave us for OUR "tech support" on non-business customers... :twisted:

However, every once in a while you do run into one with some tech savvy, who has been working there long enough to know the system being discussed. Hopefully you'll get one of those, but they pay low wages, for high call volume, with frustrated customers, so there is a high turnover in the business.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

KrisHolt wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm HP told me that since I do not have Windows installed anymore they cannot run the diagnostics for the battery in the BIOS by pressing F2 and they will not give me a replacement battery although my pc is still under warranty! Apparently Windows 10 had some diagostics to test the battery and I'm guessing maybe the adaptor/charger too.

SO I'm screwed.

BTW, you can try this at home. When you see the HP Splash creen, press the F2 key and tell us what comes up when you do.

I have an older HP, but the battery is long since shot, and I gave the power supply to a friend of mine. :(

Um...you didn't blow away any hidden partitions on the drive when you loaded Linux, did you... :cry:

Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

IMHO, it sounds like the circuit board and/or the battery cells are kaputz. Cheap batteries use cheap circuitry and cells. I have had very good luck with BND brand batteries on Amazon, as they use Samsung cells and good circuitry. Have installed about 2 dozen of these over the past 2 years and no problems, yet.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Sumutiu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sumutiu »

Update your BIOS to the latest version, You can do so using HIRENs Boot WIndows 10 Live on an USB stick so you don't even have to reinstall Windows 10 and Linux Mint again.
pinkflamingo2017

Post by pinkflamingo2017 »

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, except my battery has not discharged. I am absolutely totally new to Linux but back in "the day" knew DOS on my monochrome monitor like the back of my hand. :D

I am wondering if there is anything else to try in Linux before I USB Windows 10. Thanks!

Return to “Hardware Support”