Boned myself again...mouse

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Boned myself again...mouse

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Today's Let's Break Our Installation issue: The Logitech Trackman Marble.

Had it working fine using this script in X11/xorg.conf.d

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier  "Marble Mouse"
        MatchProduct "Logitech USB Trackball"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
        Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
        Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection
But since I couldn't tweak themes like I could before in MATE,I decided to install LXDE. Did someone once say something about installing two different desktops?
Everything was fine except my 2nd monitor. Sometimes it wouldn't turn on when LXDE was started, so I ran the nVidia settings app. It came up and said "Save configuration to xorg.conf?"
Well,, sure...why not?

Oops.

Scroll function no longer works. The nVidia control panel created and xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. Once I realised this I removed it and rebooted. No go. I looked in /usr/share/X11 and there was no xorg.conf, and in xorg.conf.d my 50-MarbleMouse.conf was still there (or whatever it is called...I'm not home)

Still no joy.

I went on a hunt of the entire drive to see if there was another xorg.conf somewhere causing the issue, still nothing. I reloaded X, borked the system totally and finally got X running again. Nope.

Once again, I am stumped. Maybe I should just be a happy idiot and go back to Windows.... :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Boned myself again...mouse

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Here's a hint:

I installed Cinnamon along with MATE.

In Cinnamon, the Trackball works just like it's supposed to: hold down the smaller left button and scroll with the marble.

No joy in MATE. Still hosed.

What in MATE could be overriding the X11 settings for initializing the buttons function? It just works like a plain old mouse.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I had an old trackman Marble that I loved. I wore the buttons out on it and replaced them a couple of times when they wore out again. I gave up on it when I got one of those "newfangled" mice with a scroll button.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:56 am I had an old trackman Marble that I loved. I wore the buttons out on it and replaced them a couple of times when they wore out again. I gave up on it when I got one of those "newfangled" mice with a scroll button.
I'm on #4 or 5. The last one I contacted Logitech and they sent me a new one, with only a few questions to answer. It kept giving me issues, jumping around, not moving when I rolled the ball, etc. I contacted them again. They sent me another. They didn't want the previous one back. I opened it up and found the cable was not fully seated on the connector. A push in place, and I now have one running, and two NIB waiting in the wings (I had bought 2 on eBay for $16 each...)

One of the older ones the small button on the left is completely shot-out, and the next newer one is in my car from when I was repairing electronic safes. They are usually in an area where there is no room at all for a mouse, and keyboard shortcuts don't work well in the OS, so I would just place it on my knee and roll the ball around! :D

Return to “Hardware Support”