Resizing ntfs/ext4 partitions

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Resizing ntfs/ext4 partitions

Post by erw1 »

I only have 30GB used out of 150GB in the sda2/ntfs partition. I'd like to bring that partition down to 50GB but it won't shrink whether from Windows or Linux (Gparted), and use the freed up space for sda5/ext4. Furthermore, I already have 16GB of unallocated space. However, it's not possible to grow sda5/ext4. What would I need to do to move space to sda5/ext5?
Screenshot from 2018-04-12 05-18-17.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-12 16-12-56.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Resising ntfs/ext4 partitions

Post by phd21 »

HI erw1,

I couple hours ago, I had to do something similar because my "sd3" partition was running out of space.

You cannot be booted into (using) a drive that you want to change the partitions of. I used a bootable copy of "gParted Live" to do my resizing and moving of the partitions. You could also use a bootable Linux Mint disc or USB stick and its partition manager for the same type of partitioning.

Here is what I did. I have 4 partitions on this SSDrive: Linux Mint 17.3 sda1 (ext4), Linux Mint 18.3 sda3 (ext4), and a "Data" sda4 common partition that is "NTFS", and of course a small "swap" partition sda5.

Goal: I wanted to take 28gb from the sda1 partition which had extra space and add 20gb to my sda3 and 8gb to my Data sda4.

Step1: I clicked sda1, selected resize/move, mouse click and hold the right side edge (creates double arrow cursor) of sda1 and dragged it towards the left creating 28gb of free space after it, clicked apply. Quick.

Step2: Then I clicked sda3, selected resize/move, mouse click hold and moved the whole sda3 left to take up the free space from step 1 (now shows 28 gb of free space after sda3), then I mouse clicked and held the right side edge of sda3 and dragged it towards the right to increase (add) 20gb from that free space, clicked apply. Takes longer.

Step3: For the Data Partition sda4, I did the same process as step 2. selected resize/move, mouse click hold and moved the whole sda4 left to take up the free space from step 2 (now shows 8 gb of free space after sda4), then I mouse clicked and held the right side edge of sda4 and dragged it towards the right to increase (add) 8gb of free space, clicked apply. Takes longer.

Rebooted and all was good, took less than 1hr.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

Thanks, will look into it and give feedback if applicable.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi erw1,

You are welcome...

You have not mentioned whether you were successful in resizing your partitions?

Here is a link to download a Video Tutorial on using "gParted" or "gParted Live" Partition Manager Editor that I just created for you or anyone to use for this.

If you need more clarification, or want me to redo this, let me know. Revised
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... O6BRShkSxX

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

Sorry for the belated reply, I hadn't realized it was there. Upon revisiting the issue, sorry to tell you that running gParted from the a bootable external drive (the same USB disk that I used to install LM) does not resolve the issue. Specifically, it won't resize
* /dev/sda5 (ext4) to reclaim the unallocated chunk (16GB), or
* /dev/sda2 (ntfs) used by Windows, to free up more space for Linux

Also, whether from the system installed on the HD or the USB device, gParted won't resize the partitions of an
external HD

Any suggestion appreciated.

PS: My version of LM is indicated in the signature.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

The partitions shown in the screenshot look like being mounted (the "safe-deposit" symbol). You would need to right-click on and unmount them before any attempt to resize/move etc.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

On the Windows side of things, I've had good luck moving and resizing partitions with MiniTool Partition Wizard Free (as in beer).
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

The reason why you couldn't resize your sda5 partition was because it was inside an extended partition (the light blue border around your sda5 and sda6). You would need to expand the extended partition, sda4, before you could enlarge sda5.

Boot into Windows, and resize the Windows partition using disk management. Once you've done that, boot a live copy of gparted, expand the size of your extended partition (sda4). Once that has been expanded, then you can enlarge/move sda5.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi erw1,

FYI: Here is a post I had a long time ago on partitioning, that may also help.

Partition Questions Re-Partitioning <Solved> - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=198126&hilit=minitool
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Resizing ntfs/ext4 partitions

Post by erw1 »

Thanks.

Using gParted, I was able to shrink the ntfs partition (Vol1) of the external drive, leaving unallocated space of 271GB. But it can't be reclaimed to increase the size of the ex[FAT] partition (Vol2). What do I need to do now?
Last edited by erw1 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Try this:
Right click on Vol2. Choose resize/move. Move the slider on the left side to occupy the unallocated space. Apply in the toolbar.
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

Move the slider on the left side [of Vol2] to occupy the unallocated space.
That's what I meant by trying to reclaim the unallocated space. The sliders are locked.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Since Vol2 doesn't seem to contain any data, you might try deleting it and make a whole new partition of all the unallocated space that you will get.
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

Since Vol2 doesn't seem to contain any data,
What makes you think it doesn't contain any data?
x64/LM 23+Xfce
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Your screenshot doesn't show any info on used/unused space.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

Looks like GParted doesn't support resizing of exFAT partitions.

https://gparted.org/features.php

Assuming you still have your Windows dual boot (is that what sdb1 is?), boot into Windows and resize there. If the default Disk Management won't allow you to move the partition, use a 3rd party program (e.g. MiniTool Partition Wizard, EaseUS Partition Master, Acronis Disk Director, etc).
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

rui no onna wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 pm Looks like GParted doesn't support resizing of exFAT partitions.

https://gparted.org/features.php
Thank's for the info. That explains the situation.
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

Marziano wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 pm Your screenshot doesn't show any info on used/unused space.
Rush to judgement. Notice the exclamation mark. Here's what is says: "Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable.", which is probably not surprising given that it is unmounted. The same shot after mounting it.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

rui no onna wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 pm Assuming you still have your Windows dual boot (is that what sdb1 is?), boot into Windows and resize there. If the default Disk Management won't allow you to move the partition, use a 3rd party program (e.g. MiniTool Partition Wizard, EaseUS Partition Master, Acronis Disk Director, etc).
Resizing exFAT from Windows also not possible.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

erw1 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 pm Rush to judgement. Notice the exclamation mark. Here's what is says: "Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable.", which is probably not surprising given that it is unmounted. The same shot after mounting it.
I did notice the exclamation mark. At any rate, the partitions must be unmounted in order for any resizing/moving to be possible at all. What I didn't know is that apparently gparted handles exFat differently than EXT or NTFS partitions. In the latter cases you do get info on the amount of data on the partitions even when unmounted. Now with this additional information you provide the whole situation makes much more sense.

Return to “Hardware Support”