Linux Mint 18.3 crashes during boot (GTX750Ti + GTX1060)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TraxXavier

Linux Mint 18.3 crashes during boot (GTX750Ti + GTX1060)

Post by TraxXavier »

I wanted to try Linux Mint 18.3 on my main PC but it crashes during boot,
it seams just to freeze at some point and the desktop never appears.

The machine has two graphics cards, one
GIGABYTE GTX750Ti 2GB OC LP
and a
ZOTAC GTX 1060 ITX
one is pascall the other maxwell architecture.

Can this be the problem?

Cheers
Trax
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 crashes during boot

Post by WharfRat »

Boot to the live media and mount the linux partition to /mnt, use xed to edit /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg and change the linux line to include only debug=vc as in:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-121-generic root=UUID=8f8906a7-1632-4e15-9a00-b17e7a875aab ro debug=vc

Messages will scroll on the screen during bootup so you can get an idea what's going on.
TraxXavier

Post by TraxXavier »

I'm trying to boot from a live media, on the PC is currently just win 7

I tried pulling cards,
and with the GIGABYTE GTX750Ti 2GB OC LP it boots fine,
with the ZOTAC GTX 1060 ITX it does not boot at all.
with booth cards is starts on the zotac (pcie port) than switches to the GIGABYTE (pcie port 4) when it enables graphics for the splashscreen (boot logo) the dots on the logo proceed a bit and than eider get stuck for ever or the screens go dark and nothing happens for minutes (until I pull the plug)
the main-board is a p9x79-e ws
The only other hardware attached is a LSI raid controller

I'm using 2 cards as m monitor setup has 6 screens and 1 card can only drive up to 4.

I tried modifying the grub.cfg of the live media but i did not get any additional debout output, i probably did it wrong.
I created the boot USB stick using UUI from a linux mint 18.3-kde iso.

How should I modify the config files on the boot media to get a debug output?

Code: Select all

linux	/casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent noprompt debug=vc floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper iso-scan/filename=${iso_path} quiet splash --
thats what i tryed

cheers
Trax
TraxXavier

Post by TraxXavier »

It seams not so long ago linux mint had major issues with the 1060 card: https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/20 ... mint-18-1/
Was that resolved in the mean time or is that the root of my problems?

Cheers
Trax
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

TraxXavier wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:40 am It seams not so long ago linux mint had major issues with the 1060 card: https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/20 ... mint-18-1/
Was that resolved in the mean time or is that the root of my problems?
There is no issue there. All that the article says is that you need an appropriate kernel if you use the proprietary drivers, which is nothing other than commonsense.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 crashes during boot (GTX750Ti + GTX1060)

Post by michael louwe »

@ TraxXavier, .......
TraxXavier wrote:.
To fix the Nvidia graphics card booting problem, please refer to ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
For Nvidia, if still unsuccessful, try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau
TraxXavier

Post by TraxXavier »

catweazel wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:11 am There is no issue there. All that the article says is that you need an appropriate kernel if you use the proprietary drivers, which is nothing other than commonsense.
The article says:
Driver installation is the tricky part. Installing the card itself was flawless, and the system recognized it fine.

BUT

Get ready, because this is a big but.

BUT…it needs a compatible kernel to get started, and the proprietary drivers are a requirement, not an option. For my system, the default Nouveau drivers were useless as was the 4.10.13 kernel I was using. With them, the 1060 booted to a black screen and frozen input. Only a hard reset would work. I had to try several kernels until I found one that would boot into a working system. For me, I had to revert to kernel 4.8.16, and then I could install the proprietary driver.
again: "With them, the 1060 booted to a black screen and frozen input. Only a hard reset would work."

Excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't Linux at least try to appeal to a brought PC using audience, and not only to the geeks that compile their own kernels?
The average joe of the street does not even know what a kernel is???

For comparison you can get any NVidia card probably ever made and any windows release from the last 10+ years and you will be able to install windows with that card and with no expertise whats o ever for most of them install compatible NVidia drivers.

While Linux just freezes and does not even tell you why, that is an issue.

And the solution to the issue is apparently, according the the article I found, to have to get the just right kernel version and the proprietary drivers.
As far as I understand it it will only work with the proprietary drivers, not the free once, which in turn will only work for certain kernel builds.

How is that not a problem for any normal user that wants to work with his PC?

@michael louwe
thx I will check the link out asap :-)

EDIT: the guild brought me at least half the way
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

TraxXavier wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:40 am
catweazel wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:11 am There is no issue there. All that the article says is that you need an appropriate kernel if you use the proprietary drivers, which is nothing other than commonsense.
The article says:
Driver installation is the tricky part. Installing the card itself was flawless, and the system recognized it fine.

BUT

Get ready, because this is a big but.

BUT…it needs a compatible kernel to get started, and the proprietary drivers are a requirement, not an option. For my system, the default Nouveau drivers were useless as was the 4.10.13 kernel I was using. With them, the 1060 booted to a black screen and frozen input. Only a hard reset would work. I had to try several kernels until I found one that would boot into a working system. For me, I had to revert to kernel 4.8.16, and then I could install the proprietary driver.
again: "With them, the 1060 booted to a black screen and frozen input. Only a hard reset would work."

Excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't Linux at least try to appeal to a brought PC using audience, and not only to the geeks that compile their own kernels?
The average joe of the street does not even know what a kernel is???
you need an appropriate kernel if you use the proprietary drivers
The 'average joe' comes to these forums to seek help.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Hardware Support”