Desktop hardware configuration Linux Mint Cinnamon & Blender

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SunnySkies

Desktop hardware configuration Linux Mint Cinnamon & Blender

Post by SunnySkies »

Hello,

I am completely new to Linux. I wanted to buy a desktop computer mainly to run Blender. I was leaning towards Linux Mint Cinnamon.

My local computer assembler guy has never installed or ran Mint or Blender. So he wanted to know if anyone can confirm if the following desktop hardware configuration would work:

Intel G4560 7th gen 3.5Ghz
Motherboard Chipset Intel H110- HDMI
Video Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GT1030 2Gb DDR5
RAM 4GB DDR4

I know this is a simple configuration but it's what fits my budget. More expensive choices do not, so it's useless to tell me to go buy other more expensive components.

The main question for me is if this hardware configuration will run Linux Mint Cinnamon and Blender without problems, if anyone has ever done it before...

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Desktop hardware configuration Linux Mint Cinnamon & Blender

Post by catweazel »

SunnySkies wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:58 pm Intel G4560 7th gen 3.5Ghz
Assuming you can get Mint installed, you'll need to upgrade to a newer kernel as soon as possible.

The best way to test Mint without installing it is to write the .iso to a USB flash drive and boot from that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
emiliosm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by emiliosm »

la puedes descargar desde aqui https://www.linux-apps.com/p/1169218/ la version appimage y la pruebas sin instalar nada
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Perhaps the most important thing about these large, pallet heavy and multi-window capable programs are one - or rather two - large monitors.
Blender is such a candidate, like GIMP or Krita.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cinnamon is actually quite heavy (over 1 G RAM, needs 3D hardware accel just by itself, ie. similar horsepower needs to Windows 10). ANd Blender, like other similar programs, uses a LOT of resources. I think I'd install the MATE version myself, even on a machine with a lot of power.

If you just dl the live CD iso and put it on a thumb drive will that store let you boot the machine from USB?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SunnySkies

Post by SunnySkies »

Hi, my computer has finally arrived!! I ended up installing Mint (it was installed for me) and I got a Video Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GT1050. I was able to install the latest Blender and set the thing to CUDA, so that's great. only problem I can detect right now is regarding the hdmi sound, which I'll ask about separately. So far my initial Mint experience has been very nice. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”