Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpaixao
Level 1
Level 1

Screen blank after sleep

Post by tpaixao » Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 am

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 XCFE (32bit) on an Asus 1025c netbook. Every time I suspend to RAM by closing the laptop lid, It wakes up to a black screen. The system is running, I can switch to Terminal sessions and pkill my processes so that the GUI reboots. Interestingly, if I suspend to RAM without closing the laptop lid (by pressing the power button and choosing suspend) this does not happen.

Another perhaps related problem is that regardless of the way I suspend to RAM, after waking up, the fans are running at full speed, even if CPU load is low and the temperature seems ok..

I am completely lost on this... Can anyone help?

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Screen blank after sleep

Post by chrisuk » Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am

I have a similar problem with XFCE on Debian Stretch, but only with pre 4.10 Kernels. I just switch to TTY1 (CTRL-ALT-F1) and then TTY7 (CTRL-ALT-F7) gets the Desktop back without any need for killing any processes.

I don't need the newer Kernels, and they use more RAM on my hardware, so I put up with the resume problem and continue to use the 4.9 series. Your problem may be totally different of course
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

tpaixao
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen blank after sleep

Post by tpaixao » Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, switching back to TTY7 does not bring back the screen... It is pretty weird.

Another update: If I do close the lid while at the login screen, then the computer wakes up normally. It is only when it tries to go back to my desktop that the issue appears. In fact, if I set my desktop to lock the screen when going to sleep, as it wakes up, it shows the login screen but then goes back to a blank (black) screen.

The plot thickens...

Return to “Hardware Support”