hard drive errors abound

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

hard drive errors abound

Post by AZgl1800 »

I turned on the display a few days ago just so I could see what all is being done as Linux boots up.

has been interesting for me, and the time required to get to the desktop does not seem to have been delayed.

Tonight though, I saw something that is cause for alarm, at first glance, I think it is time to do a fresh install and then use my backups to get going again.

when I saw the alarms, it said to run fsck manually, so I did from the prompt that was present.
I took 3 camera shots that show part of what was damaged....
it asked if I want to 'fix it' and since it won't boot, I said 'yes' and let it go.

had to repeat that process several times before the desktop appeared.
At first, I thought all was well, but almost immediately I noticed that the "Share" folder function will not work.

I use my cellphone to take pictures, and then send them via WiFi to the laptop.
The cellphone can see the Shared folder, but it can't transfer files to the Desktop like it used to.

I removed the SHARE on Desktop, then I reinstated it once again to no avail.

here are the screen shots.

there were a lot more errors to fix, I just kept going until it booted up.

now the shared folder appears on the cellphone, but I can't send files to it anymore.

Time to erase with fresh install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: hard drive errors abound

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 am Time to erase with fresh install?
Not necessarily. The last screen shot indicated that the errors were fixed. Are you still having problems with the errors?

It's possible that your machine wasn't shut down properly, or you were doing a transfer that got corrupted.

As for the shared folder, create a new one.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Hardware Support”