NUC for HTPC

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexa9

NUC for HTPC

Post by alexa9 »

Looking at a NUC or similar small PC for a home theater PC.
I have this one already but I think it is overkill for what I do:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXNUC7I3B ... el+nuc+7i3

Will this one be enough for browsing and youtube/netflix/spotify?
https://www.amazon.com/INTEL-NUC-Kit-Co ... =intel+nuc

Intel Celeron J3455 vs 7th Gen i3? Both support 4K but I wonder if the Celeron will be significantly less capable for more intense computer tasks. I may have to try both side by side although I don't like having to return things too much on Amazon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: NUC for HTPC

Post by catweazel »

Code: Select all

32GB eMMC onboard storage
If it were my choice, I wouldn't go near it because of that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

catweazel wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Code: Select all

32GB eMMC onboard storage
If it were my choice, I wouldn't go near it because of that.
That is the kit one which I wouldn't get. The bare bones one you can add whatever RAM and SSD you want. I am really interested in the processor and what this less expensive one can't do. I'll read into the reviews a little deeper.

Looks like people are claiming it's pretty decent for basic users and as a HTPC. More intense tasks like gaming and video editing might be a struggle, but I don't need that. Actually reading a lot of the 1 star reviews there are some major issues with it. I'd have to thoroughly test it within the return window.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

alexa9 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 am That is the kit one which I wouldn't get.
You linked to it but neglected to mention that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Hardware Support”