[SOLVED] SSD issue bad disk ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] SSD issue bad disk ?

Post by Drygar_2016 »

Hi,

Running LM 18.1 - updated - kernel 4.4

I replaced an old and slow HDD (but working HDD) with a new faster SSD less than an year ago on my refurbished HP. The SSD was placed in a caddy and the HDD removed completely.

All was fine until today when I wanted to make an image using Clonezilla. Less than a minute after Clonezilla started writing the image, it produced and error about disk failure and refused to continue. I thought the error was about the flash drive but I rebooted and:
- perform HP HDD test from BIOS (F2) and it failed with read error
- booted fine and opened Disks app

It showed in red "SELF-TEST FAILED" alert. Made further tests with it and it shows again : Last self-test failed (read) , 190 bad sectors

I did shut down the PC.

Started it again after 1 hour.

Ran badblocks command from Terminal like described here > https://www.fosslinux.com/1297/check-ha ... x-mint.htm
and in the output txt files it produced numbers (a lot of numbers) which I assume are the bad sectors ??

But now when I start the Disks app, it shows Disk is OK (738 bad sectors), not in read ?

Any idea what is going on ? Is the SSD about to fail ? It is still in warranty period so I might be able to have it replaced by the vendor.
I have no symptoms - the PC is running fast and had no other issues so far.

Any advice is appreciated

Attaching the pictures
333.png
222.png
111.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: SSD issue bad disk ?

Post by Laurent85 »

I would not trust a drive reporting a self-test failed and with numerous bad blocks. Backup your data and/or Clone your drive and replace your drive as soon as possible.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can backup your drive with bad blocks using clonezilla. There is an option to ignore bad blocks in clonezilla
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar_2016 »

Thanks for your replies.

1 additional restart and 15 minutes after my post above ... and the SSD drive failed completely.

But it is so strange that it was working perfectly fine yesterday

It froze completely, Linux Mint could barely load to password prompt. Bootable drives with LM or Windows could not mount it anymore. Could not work with it. Clonezilla reported issues again.

It's now packed with receipts/invoices and will be sent to the seller - they advertise this SSD with 3 year warranty - didn't last 6 months, purchased in November 2017 :)

Thanks
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [SOLVED] SSD issue bad disk ?

Post by lsemmens »

Back in the day, HDD manufacturers used to supply specific test programs for their drives to advise on their condition. Not sure if the same is true for SSDs, but it might be worth investigating before you have any future issues. (off to investigate for self, now)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Hardware Support”