Wrong GB count in the system

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jarekk

Wrong GB count in the system

Post by Jarekk »

Hi,

I upgraded my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD as I needed more space. I used Clonezilla to clone the small disc to the large one. My system is fully encrypted with I made sure to select "k1" and "r" options to automatically enlarge the partition into the size of the bigger drive. Everything went fine and I was able to use the "new" system right after I changed the discs.

My problem is that although Gparted shows that the partition was properly resized to the maximum size, the system can see only 238 GB.
Discs.jpg
I checked it and the system does not allow to copy any file that exceeds the 238GB size.

Is there any way to tell the system the real size of the partition?

Thanks
Jarek
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wrong GB count in the system

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Mute Ant

Re: Wrong GB count in the system

Post by Mute Ant »

Clonezilla has done what it can. It knows about partitions and the data inside partitions, but it can't re-work that data to adjust the size of the logical volume /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root or the size of the ext4 file-system in that volume. So your problem is just normal for a cloned encrypted Mint. Next step is like this...
https://www.rootusers.com/lvm-resize-ho ... partition/
...to make the Logical Volume bigger, then make the EXT4 inside that volume bigger, too. Both operations can be performed while the OS is running (it says here) but I have never tried it.

Return to “Hardware Support”