Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
RainydayBuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Graphic boot options

Post by RainydayBuntu »

:D I have searched here and a few other places for the specifics of this answer and I feel to be close. But in an attempt to learn more from the process and be sure that what I do to my config is going to change it for the better, and for good, I bring this question to you. :oops:

Let's get to it. i have a nettle ( MCP61PM-HM ) with some funky hardware. (realistically its just some older kingston RAM and a yamaha pci audio card. anywho. integrated graphics doesnt like the regular boot ( :?: vsync? the desktop background shows up, but no top bar, menu or anything else, even the off button signal brings up no shutdown gui) with the Cinnamon 18.2 mint. buuuuttttt.

when i press shift and open grub and run the grub, i choose the first option ( doy [compatability?]) and its runs fine.

Only catch, | I got this image to and installed from a usb harddrive. its not connected to internet, (www, w.e.) so i need an offline fix. which i know is a thing since it can run perfectly fine after grub loader boots but how can i get it to boot straight to desktop without going through the boot options to grub then to boot load???

I have looked but cannot find any boot modifications that fix this directly. most say to edit drivers. but i obviously have the right drivers somewhere. the config is the problem, since i can get it to boot normally, its just a hassle.
I Seldom Find myself thinking less than way to much for me to not want to change whats around me
acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Graphic boot options

Post by acerimusdux »

It seems to me, your options are:

1. Edit /etc/default/grub to change the default

If an existing menu option boots properly, and you want to make that the default, you may only need to change the line that says GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to something else. If it's the third line in your current menu you want, for example, you could make that GRUB_DEFAULT=2.

2. Edit /etc/default/grub to change boot parameters

Likely you want the default kernel, there is just something you want added to the boot parameters to make it work. You can add any parameters your system needs to the line that looks like: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash".

3. Add a custom menu entry by editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom

You would have to research a little to get the format right for a new entry.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

No one's going to be able to do much without more info than a MB name, copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here (no screenshots please):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
RainydayBuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RainydayBuntu »

the grub default seems to be the right idea. i will post the inxi command output as well as the results to the grub adjustments in the morning, thanks for the quick replies.
I Seldom Find myself thinking less than way to much for me to not want to change whats around me

Return to “Hardware Support”