Video adapter disturbes display

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Video adapter disturbes display

Post by WHVW »

Hi all:
A while back I got one of those VGA to video devices, (they go in between the computer and the monitor, and supply a video out): the device worked, but upon restart the display became out of proportion to the screen, that is to say the display looked as if I were looking at the lower left hand quadrant of a display four times larger. The menu bar and browser panels were all in their proper places, but much larger. Same for the icons, some of which were off the screen. Disconnecting the device and restarting cured the problem. Since I needed the video out, I left the box hooked up while I looked for a device that would provide some electrical isolation, which ended up being a one in four out VGA splitter. (an ideal solution)
The problem is that now I cannot get the display to operate properly, even with disconnecting everything...
Under "displays" I only have two low resolution options. I seem to remember another option for monitor settings that was more powerful than the one contained in "displays" but I cannot remember where it was.
I'm running LM 17.1 . Can anyone come up with a way to restore those settings?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Video adapter disturbes display

Post by roblm »

If you are using Mint Cinnamon or MATE, open the File Manager and then the .config folder, a hidden folder. Press Ctrl+H if it is not visible. Remove the monitors.xml file, which stores the settings made in Display. A new one will be created when you click the Apply button in Display.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

roblim:

I tried what you told me, the file behaved as you said, but the display is still stuck at 1024x768. The only choices I have are that and the (worse) 800x600.
I tried manually editing the file, and got a screen saying that the settings could not be applied.
I tried another monitor...same
Completely disconnecting from ac mains...same
Am I stuck with this crappy resolution??
Later..
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

WHVW wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 amAm I stuck with this crappy resolution??
Probably not. Somebody is likely to have a solution for you. In the meantime, it might be helpful to tell use what you mean by "VGA to video devices." VGA already is video. I'm guessing you mean it converts to some other video format, but what? HDMI? DVI? Something else? Does this device have a manufacturer and model number? It would probably also be good to see the output of inxi -Fxz entered in a terminal.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

jimallyn:

It is a VGA to NTSC converter:
This little guy.
Thanks, all

Return to “Hardware Support”