Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
perdomot
Level 2
Level 2

USB Type-C support

Post by perdomot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 am

I'm running a Ryzen cpu/B350 mobo using Mint XFCE and noticed that the Type-C connection seems somewhat shaky. I'm using a USB hub that connects to the mobos Type -C port and the thumb drives I plug into it sometimes don't detect the first time and sometimes they stay visible in the Disks utility even after I unplug them. Only a reboot clears them from the Disks tool. Anyone else seeing this or know how to fix it? Regular USB ports work fine, its only the Type-C having issues. Thanks.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: USB Type-C support

Post by xenopeek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am

Two things to note about that. First, very new hardware may have patchy drivers for it and you generally benefit from upgrading your Linux kernel version to highest version available in Update Manager (in its View > Linux kernels menu). Probably a good idea to plan to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 if you're not already using that.

Second thing to note, which I've run into, is that some brands of USB type-C thumb drives are horrible if not plain fire risks. I'm looking at SanDisk. If you try to read or write a very large file on that the drive will heat up so much it becomes unreliable. Just do a search for USB type-C thumb drives overheating and becoming unreliable with a simple large file copy. It's not specific to Linux Mint or to SanDisk. What others have reported is that Samsung FIT type-C thumb drives should not have these issues (it will still get hot but, as needed, throttle performance to keep temperature at level where the device doesn't become unreliable).

perdomot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: USB Type-C support

Post by perdomot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:08 am

I updated the kernel but it didn't make a difference. Could be the hub so I'll have to try another one. Funny that you mentioned Sandisk, because the main troublesome one is from Sandisk.

Return to “Hardware Support”