No sound on Linux Mint 18.3

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: No sound on Linux Mint 18.3

Post by trytip »

i don't understand. are you saying you booted into windows changed some effect sounds then rebooted into mint and everything worked again?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Way to go, robluck82! I think the first thing to check now is that jack isn't getting in the way:

Code: Select all

killall jackd
pulseaudio --start
Does that get sound working?

trytip. This is the third time I've seen improvements made (or fixes) by messing with sound in Windows first. Honestly, I think the only part of that should be helping is a proper shutdown of Windows to reset the card, but it appears there may be more to it.

robluck82. I remember another user only having decent sound when "spatial 5.1" was set (somewhere, not sure if Linux or Windows) so keep that in mind as we progress.
robluck82

Post by robluck82 »

MrEen wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:02 pm Way to go, robluck82! I think the first thing to check now is that jack isn't getting in the way:

Code: Select all

killall jackd
pulseaudio --start
Does that get sound working?

trytip. This is the third time I've seen improvements made (or fixes) by messing with sound in Windows first. Honestly, I think the only part of that should be helping is a proper shutdown of Windows to reset the card, but it appears there may be more to it.

robluck82. I remember another user only having decent sound when "spatial 5.1" was set (somewhere, not sure if Linux or Windows) so keep that in mind as we progress.
Here's a kicker.

Booted up into LM this morning - lost all progress! So, booted up to Windows, didn't change a thing, rebooted into LM, and we're back to where we were yesterday. STILL NO SOUND, but a working microphone and at least an output I can mess with!

Honestly, with the way Win10 is running on this PC (takes 20 mins to boot up to usability) I'll probably wipe everything and install fresh LM 18.3.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

One thing that might be useful is running the alsa info script while you're still close to working. While it might not help to get over the final hurdle (although it may,) it could be run again if/when it all hits the fan again with the two results compared.

As we seem to be so close, cleaning out ~/.config/pulse/ again might be worth a shot.

Return to “Hardware Support”