What Port is Printer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

What Port is Printer

Post by Ozo »

I look at Printer Properties but it does not list the ports.
I am using Mint Cinnamon 18.3

I want to know the port # in order to configure the Printer Ink Level and Monitor Applet. How do I find the port #.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: What Port is Printer

Post by AndyMH »

Try 9100
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

The ap will not allow a higher number than 99. I type in 9100 and it automatically plugs in 99. I have tried 1-20.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Have you tried configuring your printer with the HPLIP GUI tools? I have an HP Envy 4520 and I can get to all of my settings.
sudo apt install hplip-gui
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

This is something I was working on for a member with a different brand printer. I was attempting to test this aps ability to actually show ink levels.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Ozo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:17 pm This is something I was working on for a member with a different brand printer. I was attempting to test this aps ability to actually show ink levels.
Yes thanks it would be for a canon MB2050 but if I install the applet I can not get into the settings. I have Mint 19 Tara
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

19 Tara Cinnamon here. The first time I loaded the ap it did not work but on the second attempt it did. That is, I see the settings screen.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

If you're looking for the IP address of the printer, as it appears to be network attached, try the following command from Terminal.

Code: Select all

lpstat -v
However, I see a few issues around using the applet.

1) It appears from the applets info that it is for USB attached printers.

2) You're looking for "Ink" levels, but the printer in your pic is a Laserjet, i.e. a toner cartridge.

3) The prior advise for "Port" number of 9100 is generally the correct port for TCP/IP network attached Lasterjets. I don't think the applet is looking for that type of port, if indeed it is only for USB.

I would bet that M201dw has a network interface console. If you run the command I posted and it shows an IP address, e.g. 192.168.0.10, then go to your browser (like Firefox) and type in that address (like access to home router) to see if the printer shows it's network interface console. If it does, you can normally get the level / percentage of toner cartridge used there.

Other ipstat commands that might assist are here.

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/ulpstat.htm
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Like I said earlier, this is actually for the member with a Canon ink jet printer. Still, I am curious about mine. Here is what I got when I entered that text.

user@Bott9:~$ lpstat -v
device for HP_LaserJet_Pro_M201dw_6DD9AE_: ipp://NPI6DD9AE.local:631/ipp/print
EDIT: I am connected by cable to the printer at this time but still need a port which is recognized by the ap. :(
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

For your printer, I can see it is using IPP, Internet Printing Protocol. If it is local and on the same subnet with your system, try the ARP cache to get the addresses of neighbor devices using the following command from Terminal.

ip n show
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

user@Bott9:~$ ip n showip n show
Command "showip" is unknown, try "ip neigh help".
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

It looks like you pasted the command twice into Terminal. ip n showip n show is what I see echoed.

The correct command is just ip n show
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

user@Bott9:~$ ip n show
192.168.1.254 dev enp2s0 lladdr c0:a0:0d:31:4f:b0 REACHABLE
192.168.223.1 dev wlp3s0 lladdr 74:29:af:8c:08:0d REACHABLE
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Ozo wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 pm
user@Bott9:~$ ip n show
192.168.1.254 dev enp2s0 lladdr c0:a0:0d:31:4f:b0 REACHABLE
192.168.223.1 dev wlp3s0 lladdr 74:29:af:8c:08:0d REACHABLE
Odd that the two IP address, 192.168.1.254 and 192.168.223.1, appear to be on different subnets. Are you sure those two addresses are correct?????

Is this a home network and home router-firewall, or are you on some type of corporate network?

Did you try those addresses from the browser?
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

First one had no results, second one gave a list of sites referenced due to the 192.168.1.254 being a "default private IP address"

This is my home network, home router firewall so nothing fancy.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Logon to the Home Router's console and see if it keeps track of the IP addresses assigned via DHCP. I'm assuming that printer is configured for DHCP and is turned ON.

Another possibility is to use the Printer's buttons to print-out a status page.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Found this in the HP Toolbox:

EDIT The printer will not print the information sheet with the printer buttons for some unknown reason, says no device connected but it is, with USB. See below.

CUPS Interface

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

What now? I thought there could be a problem with the Toolbox so uninstalled it. Now I see that it is not in the Software Manager. Installed it manually but do not see it in the menu.

There were reports which could be printed from the buttons but none with a port id. I did get a useful report called Supplies Status. It shows how many pages have been printed and how many left.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

OK.... you have the HP printer attached USB directly to your computer after all. So, you don't have access to the web interface using USB cable. You're therefore restricted to what the utilities provide for status information.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Just loaded HPLip to the Software manager so the Toolbox is available once more. I have details regarding toner state now.

Return to “Hardware Support”