canon mf4370dn driver erratic

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rcdawson

canon mf4370dn driver erratic

Post by rcdawson »

I am using the Canon's linux-UFRIIdriver for my mf4370dn printer. Sometimes it prints, and sometimes it doesn't. Running Linux Mint KDE 18.3. Is anyone else using this driver successfully with this printer? It seems to recognize the printer, but frequently printing is interrupted with a data error message at the printer. Any work-arounds? Any versions of Mint with which it works.

The driver installation went smoothly, but "registering the printer" was interrupted with the following messages (actually the same message twice):

(cnsetuputil:6106): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(cnsetuputil:6106): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",'

I have gotten the same problem with two identical printers and two different computers, both running Linux Mint KDE 18.3. To be more accurate: Two computers and the same problem communicating with one printer. One of the computers had a fresh installation of the driver, one had a an instance of the driver installed several months ago.

The computer with fresh installation of driver was only tested into the one printer (the one that originally displayed the problem).

Thanks for any information. If a different Linux works with the printer, I'm happy to switch to it rather than buy a new printer.

Richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: canon mf4370dn driver erratic

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
rcdawson

Re: canon mf4370dn driver erratic

Post by rcdawson »

The only driver for my printer that I find on the Canon website is Canon UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux"

Canon describes it as "a Linux operating system printer driver that supports Canon devices. It uses the CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) printing system for Linux operating systems. Installing this driver enables you to print with built-in device functions from the GUI (Graphical User Interface) settings screen and command line."

I found no driver tagged "debian Packagearchive."

The driver that I found installed, although the installation had a couple of hiccups at the end. The printer showed up as being installed, but it behaves very erratically.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

canon mf4370dn

Post by pdc_2 »

So this is a multi-function laser printer; it is not an ink-jet printer; https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... s-mf4370dn

If I was looking for the driver, I would go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 24010.html and click to download and SAVE what will be linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz and it should end up saved in the Downloads folder;

this 3.5 version was released 8th Feb 2018; I would have thought it best for everyone to use the install script that is within the package; (you probably have that already?)

so the commands to install are:

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz

cd linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken

sudo ./install.sh
I would suggest before running the above commands; to go to the PRINTERS folder; deleting the existing icon for 4370; then running the commands and seeing if things do better;

...... before deleting the existing icon for the 4370; RIGHT-CLICK on the icon; select PROPERTIES: the SETTINGS option should come up as top of the line; look down to MAKE & MODEL;

drag the window out to the right; see what it says there; I am wondering if it says something other than UFR .......

the reason I say that ....... is that to get a printer working; you need to do at a minimum 2 things: 1) install the drivers and 2) REGISTER the printer with lpadmin;

so one can install the drivers manually; but helpful old Mint jumps and being well-meaning; may register the printer to the nearest fit on the huge list of printers it keeps in its memory; so you get a "near-fit" ........ just wondering if that has happened to you ....... I feel the install script gives you " the best shot " .........

If you already have linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz downloaded; and if already unpacked in the Downloads folder; then you can just run the last two commands .........

Return to “Hardware Support”