(Mint 19 Mate) Intel microcode not present in Additional Drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Altersoundwork

(Mint 19 Mate) Intel microcode not present in Additional Drivers

Post by Altersoundwork »

Hi all,

For perspective, this PC had Mint 18.3 KDE previous to this (Mint 19 Mate Beta). I've noticed that the additional drivers functionality detects the nvidia drivers just fine but no longer shows CPU related drivers (18.3 did, specifically in this case for Series 4 i5). However, when you go to update manager (currently I only see the Linux Kernel update available since all else where done through apt update/upgrade) and I click Install Updates, I see in the list "Intel Microcode and AMD Microcode".

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: (Mint 19 Mate) Intel microcode not present in Additional Drivers

Post by Pjotr »

It looks like the microcode packages are installed by default, in Mint 19. Check it with Synaptic.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:45 am It looks like the microcode packages are installed by default, in Mint 19. Check it with Synaptic.
I saw that on the other thread this morning. I'll still trying to to figure-out the WHY on that one over coffee? Is that from a Ubuntu 18.04 decision?
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...security-wise, i'd say that it IS the correct decision...

...also, some people who had never ever updated the BIOS before, ran into problems installing / booting Ubuntu & variants in the first place...

...of course, such might cause other kind of problems...so it's one or the other i'd think...
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I could see making it an option on the installer. Yeah, I thought about security driving the decision, especially since Meltdown/Spectre.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...ideally, one day, if Red Hat succeeds in convincing vendors to co-operate properly:
https://fwupd.org/
&
https://github.com/rhboot/fwupdate
Which would make BIOS (UEFI) security updates super-simple even for the most inexperience users, and also notify them of them...
But we're obviously still quite far away from such...
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

As an early adopter of the beta, from day zero, it wasn't offered in either driver or software manager and had to be installed via sudo.

This is obviously something that's recently hit. I think, as others say, its a good idea to shift it as a security update in the update manager. Makes it easier for Linux new comers to understand and install it. How many times have you seen people asking here?

10 cents worth.

Return to “Hardware Support”