Issues compiling AMDRaid driver on Kernel 4.15

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Altersoundwork

Issues compiling AMDRaid driver on Kernel 4.15

Post by Altersoundwork »

Hi all,

So, up till now, I was able to compile the AMDRaid driver (from the AMD website) with the latest kernel in Mint 18.3, add it to the LiveUSB and with a few commands during installation, get Linux Mint on an AMDRaid array. Problem is, it doesn't seem to want to compile on 4.15

Here's an extract:

Code: Select all

root@vm-altersoundwork:/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src# make
------------------------------------------------------------
- building for kernel 4.15.0-23-generic
------------------------------------------------------------
make -C /lib/modules/4.15.0-23-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-23-generic'
  CC [M]  /home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.o
/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.c: In function ‘rc_timeout_done’:
/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.c:2391:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_timer’; did you mean ‘init_timers’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  init_timer(&state->rc_timeout);
  ^~~~~~~~~~
  init_timers
/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.c: In function ‘rc_timeout’:
/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.c:2407:19: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
  state->rc_timeout.data = (unsigned long)state;
                   ^
/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.c:2408:29: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  state->rc_timeout.function = rc_timeout_done;
                             ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:332: recipe for target '/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src/rc_init.o] Error 1
Makefile:1552: recipe for target '_module_/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-23-generic'
Makefile:60: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
root@vm-altersoundwork:/home/altersoundwork/Desktop/amdraid/driver_sdk/src# 
This is a bit beyond my skill, any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Issues compiling AMDRaid driver on Kernel 4.15

Post by WharfRat »

I downloaded the driver zip and read the the driver_sdk/ README.sdk file.

It is possible to build the driver for many distributions based on Linux
version 2.6 kernels without having the complete kernel source tree available.

You're running a 4.15 version so this source is just outdated.
Altersoundwork

Post by Altersoundwork »

WharfRat wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm I downloaded the driver zip and read the the driver_sdk/ README.sdk file.

It is possible to build the driver for many distributions based on Linux
version 2.6 kernels without having the complete kernel source tree available.

You're running a 4.15 version so this source is just outdated.
I completely understand this. The issue is that AMD, as far as I know outsourced the creation of these drivers to a third party company for the initial release, and then another third party company for an update. The last update was over a year ago. Luckily I was stil lable to compile it in 4.13 kernels, but no such luck in 4.15

I guess my question is if anyone has the know-how to modify this in order for it to compile properly.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You might want to watch https://community.amd.com/thread/227801
It seems a patch is in progress
Altersoundwork

Post by Altersoundwork »

JeremyB wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am You might want to watch https://community.amd.com/thread/227801
It seems a patch is in progress
That is perfect, thank you kindly, no idea how I didn't see this on the AMD forums. I'll post here again once final steps are done so anyone searching here can find a solution.

Return to “Hardware Support”