Connecting bluetooth headphone, is this correct?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Connecting bluetooth headphone, is this correct?

Post by timmn1 »

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB650BT bluetooth headphones which I connect to my computer running Linux Mint 18.3, It's been already paired, and I can get it to connect to the computer, but the method I have to use seems complicated.

This is what I have to do: Press the power button on the headphones until the LED flashes red and blue, open up bluetooth, and click on MDR-XB650BT in the Devices box, when the MDR-XB650BT window opens, repeatedly click on the Connection slider until it says "On" then click on Sound Settings, in the Sound Settings window, click on the Hardware tab, scroll down until I find MDR-XB650BT and click on it, the profile is already set for A2DP Sink, then I click on the Output tab and scroll down to select MDR-XB650BT and the headphones are ready to use.
Am I doing this correctly? Is there an easier way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Connecting bluetooth headphone, is this correct?

Post by JeremyB »

So are you deleting the headphones from the Bluetooth Manager each time that you need to hold the power button long enough to put the headset in pairing mode?

LM 19 might work better as it is based on Ubuntu 18.04 as Ubuntu 16.04 wasn't exactly the easiest to use bluetooth with
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

JeremyB wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 pm So are you deleting the headphones from the Bluetooth Manager each time that you need to hold the power button long enough to put the headset in pairing mode?

LM 19 might work better as it is based on Ubuntu 18.04 as Ubuntu 16.04 wasn't exactly the easiest to use bluetooth with
I don't delete them, and every once and a while they will connect automatically, but only in HSP/HFP mode and there is no option to connect with A2DP Sink.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

This is what I used in Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18 to get my headphones to switch

Code: Select all

wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/pylover/d68be364adac5f946887b85e6ed6e7ae/raw/bbba417cae1419ed35b79c1ac400c7197a12e2fc/a2dp.py && chmod +x ./a2dp.py
Then when I wanted to use my headphones I would connect and do

Code: Select all

./a2dp.py

Return to “Hardware Support”