Acer swift 3 linux mint install

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dovoljan2

Acer swift 3 linux mint install

Post by Dovoljan2 »

I got a new Acer swift 3 running endless os that doesn't suite me. I want to install linux mint on it but I am afraid i'm going to lose some functionality or brake something. I did a search and found that people had issues, some serious like being unable to boot.

So is it possible to install linux mint on my machine and have everything working? What functionality would i lose? Does anyone have any experience with it?

I have an Acer swift 3, Model Name: SF314-52, Part Number: NX.GQGEX.009. It has an i5-8250U processor, Kabylake GT1.5, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Acer swift 3 linux mint install

Post by catweazel »

Dovoljan2 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 pm So is it possible to install linux mint on my machine and have everything working?
The best way to find out if it's going to work is to run a live DVD or USB flash drive. If you're only going to have Mint on that machine, backup your treasured stuff and let the installer use the entire drive.
I did a search and found that people had issues, some serious like being unable to boot.
Of course some people have issues. If they didn't then there'd be no need for the forums.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Dovoljan2

Re: Acer swift 3 linux mint install

Post by Dovoljan2 »

I used a live USB. Everything worked fine so I installed it, no dual boot, just mint.
I got a Secure boot fail at restart. I fixed it by going in BIOS and setting up a supervisor password. After that I could disable the Secure boot. I saved and restarted and mint booted right up.

I also tried manjaro live USB but it wouldn't boot so I gave up as I wanted mint anyway.

Return to “Hardware Support”