Hardware involved with kernel problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Hardware involved with kernel problem

Post by wpshooter »

If I install kernel update 4,15,0,24 on my desktop computer it borks the OS, I get error
message regarding not being able to change .ICEauthority.

If I install kernel update 4,15,0,24 on my laptop computer it does NOT bork the OS,
continues to boot just fine.

So my question is what specific hardware component is the likely cause of this
kernel problem on my desktop computer ?

Is it possibly the hard drive because my desktop is using a SSD while my laptop
is using a mechanical hard drive ?

Let me know if you need further details.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Re: Hardware involved with kernel problem

Post by gm10 »

The -24 kernel is bugged on some systems, go back to a previous kernel version via grub boot menu (press shift after bios screen to bring up the menu) and then remove it via Update Manager > View > List kernels.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 am The -24 kernel is bugged on some systems, go back to a previous kernel version via grub boot menu (press shift after bios screen to bring up the menu) and then remove it via Update Manager > View > List kernels.
Thanks, I know that, what I am wanting to understand is WHAT hardware component is the root cause
of the problem.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I don't think anyone is sure what component causes the problem
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

JeremyB wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:29 am I don't think anyone is sure what component causes the problem
Seems to me that someone would know because otherwise how would a
subsequent release of a new version of the kernel ever solve the problem ?

You're not saying that if you have a specific type of computer that is subject
to this problem that you are just SOL from know on with Linux Mint or that
you just have to continue to use the same older kernel from now on ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The core issue was one with entropy generation for rng initialization. cat /var/log/syslog | grep crng. In -24 there was a change in how it was generated which resulted in some systems not producing any or very little - that's why some users reported success by moving their mouse around during boot.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The offending kernel commits have been reverted, they involved random:crng init done. They have been in the upstream Linux kernels since late April and were reverted by Linus Torvalds just over a week ago
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:24 am Thanks, I know that, what I am wanting to understand is WHAT hardware component is the root cause
of the problem.
I suspect it's the RNG, which isn't something you can rip out.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

JeremyB wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 am The offending kernel commits have been reverted, they involved random:crng init done. They have been in the upstream Linux kernels since late April and were reverted by Linus Torvalds just over a week ago
If this is the case, then when I poll the Linux Mint servers for updates, should I still be seeing an offering of
the kernel #24 for update ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You may think, like many new to Linux, that kernel updates breaking things is unusual. It isn't. That's why the Mint update system and its levels is so useful.

All I can say is that if you're one of those Linux newbies I'm reading posts from who've installed Linux because Windows 10 updates are breaking things, well, there are a number of great reasons to use Linux but that ISN'T one of them.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am You may think, like many new to Linux, that kernel updates breaking things is unusual. It isn't. That's why the Mint update system and its levels is so useful.

All I can say is that if you're one of those Linux newbies I'm reading posts from who've installed Linux because Windows 10 updates are breaking things, well, there are a number of great reasons to use Linux but that ISN'T one of them.
No, not that I am an expert at Linux (or anything else for that matter), just wondering if they are
aware of the problem, then why would the kernel 24 not IMMEDIATELY (if not sooner !!!) be withdrawn
from the Mint severs period. Am I missing something here ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 am
Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am You may think, like many new to Linux, that kernel updates breaking things is unusual. It isn't. That's why the Mint update system and its levels is so useful.

No, not that I am an expert at Linux (or anything else for that matter), just wondering if they are
aware of the problem, then why would the kernel 24 not IMMEDIATELY (if not sooner !!!) be withdrawn
from the Mint severs period. Am I missing something here ?

Thanks.
Kernels are not on Mint servers, they are on Ubuntu servers
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

[/quote]

Kernels are not on Mint servers, they are on Ubuntu servers
[/quote]

So is Ubuntu not aware that kernel #24 is problematic ?

Thanks.

P.S. - I found the following post on the bug report regarding this kernel problem:

#50 : Another workaround besides the 'haveged' is 'rng-tools5'. I've booted through kernel version(4.15.0-23), installed the package 'rng-tools5' (because my processor supports it - intel 3rd generation or newest) and now i'm able to boot kernel 4.15.0-24 again.

It appears to be saying that installing "rng-tools5" package may be the fix to this kernel problem and
I see that that package is NOT currently installed (by default) on my system. There is also mention that this problem may be
as I suspected related to the use of SSD on the systems (which my desktop system does have)
However, having my system now working pretty good on kernel 23 after a complete reinstall from scratch, I am somewhat hesitant to
give it a try. Any volunteers ? Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It isn't an issue in Ubuntu if the kernel files are left on the server as Ubuntu uses kernel meta packages, the top level package is called linux-generic and it depends on linux-image-generic and linux-headers-generic. All Ubuntu has to do is change the version numbers for the dependencies and no Ubuntu user will install these automatically after the change. For now linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic has no kernel package dependent on it.

It seems that the Mint Kernel Update Window uses Synaptic Package Manager to find available kernels, they might have to find a way to mark problem kernels as poisonous or something
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JeremyB wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:07 pm It isn't an issue in Ubuntu if the kernel files are left on the server as Ubuntu uses kernel meta packages, the top level package is called linux-generic and it depends on linux-image-generic and linux-headers-generic. All Ubuntu has to do is change the version numbers for the dependencies and no Ubuntu user will install these automatically after the change. For now linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic has no kernel package dependent on it.

It seems that the Mint Kernel Update Window uses Synaptic Package Manager to find available kernels, they might have to find a way to mark problem kernels as poisonous or something
I think the issue is really outdated mirrors. Found this handy overview, way too many are a week behind: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
Thus no wonder so many users are still getting the -24 as an update via the update manager. The Linux kernels view is another question, but I agree that should probably use the meta package as well.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I have come to the conclusion that the problem with the #24 Linux Kernel is related
to the use of SSD hard drives.

I just took my SSD out of my computer and replaced it with an old manual / mechanical
hard drive and installed Linux Mint 19 on it including the #24 Kernel and it worked/booted
perfectly after the installation of #24, whereas previously when I was using my SSD in
the computer the #24 kernel broke the system and would not boot.

Hope someone addresses this issue fairly quickly because me thinks there are a lot
of people like me who have switched to SSD.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “Hardware Support”