[Solved] Tara 19 Mouse and touchpad settings

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rapajko

[Solved] Tara 19 Mouse and touchpad settings

Post by rapajko »

I am using mint 19 xfce. Mouse is too fast. Tried setting speed and acceleration with

Code: Select all

xset mouse 0 1
and

xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 '8' 'Accel Profile Enabled' 1
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 '8' 'Accel Speed' 0
but the speed remains same ... with mint 18.3 I had no such problem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Tara 19 Mouse and touchpad settings

Post by KBD47 »

GUI mouse/touchpad speed setting did not work for you? Adjusting acceleration under the mouse settings made no improvement?
It looks to be about 1/5 of the way up by default.
rapajko

Post by rapajko »

tried that and nothing changed ... at first it would reset slider after I would restart GUI window ... that got fixed after sudo xset mouse 0 1 ... but in pointer behaviour nothing changed
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

rapajko wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:10 pm tried that and nothing changed ... at first it would reset slider after I would restart GUI window ... that got fixed after sudo xset mouse 0 1 ... but in pointer behaviour nothing changed
Wonder if the newer kernel is not supporting your mouse well. I use Logitech and have never had an issue. One thing you could try that was mentioned in release notes, remove synaptics touchpad and log out and back in. See if that helps. There were glitches in the beta with touchpads, so synaptics touchpad was added.
rapajko

Post by rapajko »

thank you for pointing me et release notes ... I removed default libinput drivers

apt remove xserver-xorg-input-libinput
and installed evdev ones

apt install xserver-xorg-input-evdev
logged out and back in and my mouse works like it used to ... thank you man :)
p.s. I am new to all of this ... how do I mark it as SOLVED? :D
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

That's awesome! :)
To mark solved just edit your first post:
[Solved]
in front of the title.
ntd252

Post by ntd252 »

rapajko wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:48 pm thank you for pointing me et release notes ... I removed default libinput drivers

and installed evdev ones

logged out and back in and my mouse works like it used to ... thank you man :)
p.s. I am new to all of this ... how do I mark it as SOLVED? :D
My cinnamon 19 also has this problem.
After doing your first command (actually the second one gives me the result that xserver is already installed), the problem has gone away.
echo-dualis

Re: [Solved] Tara 19 Mouse and touchpad settings

Post by echo-dualis »

Hello there! Do you have any recommended acceleration for the touchpad? I spend my time studying, browsing and programming and sometimes i notice default settings lack a bit of bounce if that makes any sense.
jadek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jadek »

I had the same problem with LM 19.1 Cinnamon with the touchpad being too sensitive, too fast. Taking the steps above (removing, installing) caused the touchpad to not work at all. Using Timeshift I just rolled things back and went with the other recommendation in the Release Notes, which was to install Synaptics. Now the touchpad sensitivity & speed are just right.
FreeFlyFall

Post by FreeFlyFall »

jadek wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm I had the same problem with LM 19.1 Cinnamon with the touchpad being too sensitive, too fast. Taking the steps above (removing, installing) caused the touchpad to not work at all. Using Timeshift I just rolled things back and went with the other recommendation in the Release Notes, which was to install Synaptics. Now the touchpad sensitivity & speed are just right.
Thanks for pointing me to the release notes. I did the same thing, and had to use timeshift as well. Installing synaptics afterwards fixed it.

apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
When both drivers are installed, "synaptics" takes priority. If that still doesn't work, the release notes also say you can install the evdev driver.

delta925
Level 1
Level 1

Post by delta925 »

I am struggling with a jittery laptop trackpad.

This laptop is a Dell E6530 running Mint 19 Mate with current updates as of last week but I have also have a Dell E5530 running Mint 18 Mate and updates with the last month with similar jittery trackpad issues.

More generically the touchpad is not identified as Synaptics but
AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad

I found this from running ( may not be quite right as right now away from the laptops running linux but I'm sure the experts will know the exact command I found to use )
grep -i xinput /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If as detailed above I install
apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
it overrides the libinput driver.

Likewise if I remove it with
apt remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
the driver returns to the libinput one

However if I run
the driver is still the libinput one i.e. the evdev does not take priority like the Synaptics one

I have tried this both with the synaptics driver installed and removed.

I found the hard way that
also removes the keyboard driver.

I did manage to re-install it from the command line but it would have been as quick to have installed Linux again.

My question is how do I make the evdev driver override the libinput one to see if this works better for me?

Return to “Hardware Support”