Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello all,
I have been using Linux Mint for quite some time and I have just installed the new Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bits version on my notebook.
I never have faced issues on my screen before but since I installed this new release I am having a annoying dark image even increasing the brightness to the max. I have even tried to install the new kernel 4.15.0-24 over 4.15.0-20 which was first intalled but the results are the same.
My notebook is a Lenovo S400 with Intel Graphics.
Can somebody give any ideas on how to solve this?

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9159
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by JeremyB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Post results from terminal for

Code: Select all

grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/*

gm10
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

If your Fn+ key combos don't work you can set backlight brightness to max like this:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
This resets display server brightness (change eDP-1 to the name of your display, if necessary):

Code: Select all

xrandr --output eDP-1 --brightness 1

lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm
Post results from terminal for

Code: Select all

grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/*

I got the following results:

luiz@snowy:/sys/class/backlight/ideapad$ grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/*
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/actual_brightness:16
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/brightness:16
grep: /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/device: É um diretório
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/max_brightness:16
grep: /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/power: É um diretório
grep: /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/subsystem: É um diretório
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/type:platform
Last edited by lggregorio on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:28 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm
If your Fn+ key combos don't work you can set backlight brightness to max like this:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
This resets display server brightness (change eDP-1 to the name of your display, if necessary):

Code: Select all

xrandr --output eDP-1 --brightness 1
Yup, I have checked those, looks like values are at max already, although screen is still dark. Even reseting display server

gm10
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm

/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0 looks weird. It's not at 0 for my screen at least.

Otherwise might be a color correction setting. At least redshift and colord (colormgr) are installed by default.

lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0 looks weird. It's not at 0 for my screen at least.

Otherwise might be a color correction setting. At least redshift and colord (colormgr) are installed by default.
What would be your value for bl_power? I could try to increase the value and see the results.

gm10
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 pm

lggregorio wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm
gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0 looks weird. It's not at 0 for my screen at least.

Otherwise might be a color correction setting. At least redshift and colord (colormgr) are installed by default.
What would be your value for bl_power? I could try to increase the value and see the results.
My value is at 4 but it's a different panel. For example, my max_brightness is 96000 while yours is 16, so you really cannot compare the values. I just noticed the 0 because it typically means off, that's all. But I really don't know what it should be, it's probably ok as is.

lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:44 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 pm
lggregorio wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm
gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0 looks weird. It's not at 0 for my screen at least.

Otherwise might be a color correction setting. At least redshift and colord (colormgr) are installed by default.
What would be your value for bl_power? I could try to increase the value and see the results.
My value is at 4 but it's a different panel. For example, my max_brightness is 96000 while yours is 16, so you really cannot compare the values. I just noticed the 0 because it typically means off, that's all. But I really don't know what it should be, it's probably ok as is.
True, I also have tried to increase this value but the results are the same. I guess I will need to rollback to 18.3 version while I look for a solution

gm10
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

I tried to change my value and my screen just blacked out. Better to be left alone I guess. ;)

lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:59 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm
I tried to change my value and my screen just blacked out. Better to be left alone I guess. ;)
I have another machine running Debian 9, bl_power value is also set to 0 and running fine. I won't touch it :lol:

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10889
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:06 pm

You might try this progressive scheme:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 4 and further, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:06 pm
You might try this progressive scheme:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 4 and further, left column)
Yes I have tried to follow these steps but still no luck, strangely I have downgraded to mint 18.3 and the problem is now solved.
I will wait for some time and try again or move to another version, LMDE for example.

lggregorio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 am

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:06 pm
You might try this progressive scheme:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 4 and further, left column)
Yes I have tried to follow these steps but still no luck, strangely I have downgraded to mint 18.3 and the problem is now solved.
I will wait for some time and try again or move to another version, LMDE for example.

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware Support”