Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lggregorio

Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by lggregorio »

Hello all,
I have been using Linux Mint for quite some time and I have just installed the new Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bits version on my notebook.
I never have faced issues on my screen before but since I installed this new release I am having a annoying dark image even increasing the brightness to the max. I have even tried to install the new kernel 4.15.0-24 over 4.15.0-20 which was first intalled but the results are the same.
My notebook is a Lenovo S400 with Intel Graphics.
Can somebody give any ideas on how to solve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Very dark screen brightness on Mint 19

Post by JeremyB »

Post results from terminal for

Code: Select all

grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/*
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If your Fn+ key combos don't work you can set backlight brightness to max like this:

sudo cp /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
This resets display server brightness (change eDP-1 to the name of your display, if necessary):

xrandr --output eDP-1 --brightness 1
lggregorio

Post by lggregorio »

JeremyB wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm Post results from terminal for

grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/*

I got the following results:

luiz@snowy:/sys/class/backlight/ideapad$ grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/*
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/actual_brightness:16
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/brightness:16
grep: /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/device: É um diretório
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/max_brightness:16
grep: /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/power: É um diretório
grep: /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/subsystem: É um diretório
/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/type:platform
Last edited by lggregorio on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lggregorio

Post by lggregorio »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm If your Fn+ key combos don't work you can set backlight brightness to max like this:

sudo cp /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
This resets display server brightness (change eDP-1 to the name of your display, if necessary):

xrandr --output eDP-1 --brightness 1
Yup, I have checked those, looks like values are at max already, although screen is still dark. Even reseting display server
gm10

Post by gm10 »

/sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0 looks weird. It's not at 0 for my screen at least.

Otherwise might be a color correction setting. At least redshift and colord (colormgr) are installed by default.
lggregorio

Post by lggregorio »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0 looks weird. It's not at 0 for my screen at least.

Otherwise might be a color correction setting. At least redshift and colord (colormgr) are installed by default.
What would be your value for bl_power? I could try to increase the value and see the results.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lggregorio wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm
gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm /sys/class/backlight/ideapad/bl_power:0 looks weird. It's not at 0 for my screen at least.

What would be your value for bl_power? I could try to increase the value and see the results.
My value is at 4 but it's a different panel. For example, my max_brightness is 96000 while yours is 16, so you really cannot compare the values. I just noticed the 0 because it typically means off, that's all. But I really don't know what it should be, it's probably ok as is.
lggregorio

Post by lggregorio »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 pm
lggregorio wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm

My value is at 4 but it's a different panel. For example, my max_brightness is 96000 while yours is 16, so you really cannot compare the values. I just noticed the 0 because it typically means off, that's all. But I really don't know what it should be, it's probably ok as is.
True, I also have tried to increase this value but the results are the same. I guess I will need to rollback to 18.3 version while I look for a solution
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I tried to change my value and my screen just blacked out. Better to be left alone I guess. ;)
lggregorio

Post by lggregorio »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm I tried to change my value and my screen just blacked out. Better to be left alone I guess. ;)
I have another machine running Debian 9, bl_power value is also set to 0 and running fine. I won't touch it :lol:
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

You might try this progressive scheme:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 4 and further, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lggregorio

Post by lggregorio »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:06 pm You might try this progressive scheme:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... adjustable
(item 4 and further, left column)
Yes I have tried to follow these steps but still no luck, strangely I have downgraded to mint 18.3 and the problem is now solved.
I will wait for some time and try again or move to another version, LMDE for example.
KalTheMan

Post by KalTheMan »

I have the same problem on my lenovo p500 touch running mint 19. I can get the brightness to stay at 100% if I use the fn keys while it's booting up but otherwise if I try and touch the brightness at all, it goes to super dim. I'll try rolling back to 18.3.
lamplighter

Post by lamplighter »

I have the same issue on my Lenovo thinkpad t410 (ancient beast) when testing out LM 19.1 via live USB image. ( Recently upgraded from Mint 17.3 (i know) to Mint 18.3 on my way to 19.1. :D ) and using the commands above i am able to monitor changing values for backlight brightness and actual brightness.

Where it was comfortable when i started reading this post.

x_user_x@x_user_x-ThinkPad-T410 ~ $ grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/*
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness:1688
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/bl_power:0
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness:1688
grep: /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/device: Is a directory
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness:4437
grep: /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/power: Is a directory
grep: /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/subsystem: Is a directory
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/type:raw
Keyboard function adjust brightness to low readability.

x_user_x@x_user_x-ThinkPad-T410 ~ $ grep [[:alnum:]] /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/*
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness:122
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness:122
Keyboard function adjust brightness to max.

/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness:4437
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness:4437
Keyboard function adjust brightness to something in the middle.

/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness:748
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness:748
Would be curious to learn if anyone has uncovered a persist-able config/setting which can be adjusted.
rjt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjt »

I installed a system for the kids in the basement but have noticed the screen goes black like it is asleep, NumLock lights up, but not CapsLock nor ScrollLock. The LinuxMint power management settings indicate the screen should never turn off, but it does. In fact, it dims fairly quickly, but not sure how long it is before it goes completely black / asleep. Is this the same problem mentioned in this thread or is it something different?

LinuxMint 19.1 Tessa MATE 1.20.1 on a HP EliteOne 800 G1 AiO.

inxi-HP-EliteOne-800-G1-AiO.txt
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

@rjt: better to start your own thread for this. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lamplighter

Post by lamplighter »

Thanks @Pjotr, fyi: the link appears to be 404 now ands appears to have moved to https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... y.html#ID4

In 19.1 my Fn+ key combos are functional. This is evidenced by the change in brightness values.
The issue is that after inital boot or login, the brightness starts at 0 everytime.

Additional research indicates that i have both 'acpi_video0' & 'intel_backlight'.

ls /sys/class/backlight/ 
acpi_video0  intel_backlight
is it possible that it's not selecting the right one?

Return to “Hardware Support”