2x RAIDs or 1x RAID partitioned?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lazarus

2x RAIDs or 1x RAID partitioned?

Post by lazarus »

LM 18.3 Cinnamon x64

Besides my system HDD, I have 7x 2TB HDDs that were part of a Win BIOS RAID5 which became unrecoverable when Win died. Data was backed up.

Under Linux they'll be remounted under mdadm as 3 basic partitions.

I was advised (non-forum tech) to mount as 1x RAID5 (3xHDDs) for 2 partitions and 1x RAID10 (4xHDDs)

Personally I'm leaning towards a single RAID10 with 3 partitions, as I work with ridiculously large data files that eat disk space and would like to be able to change partition sizes to accommodate if required, stealing space from the others.

FWIW, I prefer RAID10 for the quicker drive rebuilds in case of HDD failure; the prior RAID5 was tortuously slow to rebuild from parity towards the end...

Is there any reason, HW- or SW-wise, that 2 RAIDs would be better than one?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 2x RAIDs or 1x RAID partitioned?

Post by catweazel »

lazarus wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 pm Is there any reason, HW- or SW-wise, that 2 RAIDs would be better than one?
Two RAIDs are better than one if you want a backup. That said, I use hardware RAID 5EE, which is not the same as RAID 5 though it is similar. I have two servers each with 10.8TB, where one acts as a backup to the other. You can pick up a single HW RAID card for under $US60, this for example, but you'll need to buy two SAS to SATA connector cables. Or this one for under $US80 including two cables. Both cards are brand new and UEFI compatible.

To be honest, if you value your data then I would encourage you to consider moving to hardware RAID.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lazarus

Re: 2x RAIDs or 1x RAID partitioned?

Post by lazarus »

The RAID is(are) for local access, I have full/incremental backups in place via NAS.

5EE, huh? I hadn't heard of that before now. Nice idea to have hot spares built in, but methinks I'll still go the RAID10 route... better to stick with what I know, for now. Perhaps the next PC rebuild will acquire a HW RAID card.

Thanks for the heads up & links!

Return to “Hardware Support”