Solved: HDD DOA? How can you tell?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Frldyz

Solved: HDD DOA? How can you tell?

Post by Frldyz »

Got a cheap 120gh refurb. seagate for around $10 from newegg.
Purchased this just to fool around with partitioning and other stuff etc..

I loaded my computer running g-parted.
Got into g-parted.

But the seagate HDD could not be found?
I looked under the disc health icon. - nthing.
I looked under partition icon. - nothing.

*I did have the HDD connected into the laptop mobo via sata extension.
I then tried connecting the HDD via disc drive enclosure and usb cale thru a usb posrt.

Nothing....?

Am I missing something?
Do I need to do something before I can get the mobo to recognize my HDD? Or is it DOA?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: HDD DOA? How can you tell?

Post by richyrich »

Check the upper right corner of Gparted for the drop-down list . . Is your new drive listed there?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

also try out - - Menu - Accessories - Disks & see if that drive is listed there .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

*I did have the HDD connected into the laptop mobo via sata extension.
I then tried connecting the HDD via disc drive enclosure and usb cale thru a usb posrt."

OK, so you connected to a laptop and also tried an external enclosure via USB. If this is the 3.5" drive (or similar) at Newegg (see link), it would require 12V, i.e. not something the laptop SATA would typically provide (the laptop 2.5" drives operate with 5V power), but an external enclosure design for 3.5" drives with its own separate power cord should work.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

If it is getting power, you should be able to hear the drive spin-up.
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

ClixTrix wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 am *I did have the HDD connected into the laptop mobo via sata extension.
I then tried connecting the HDD via disc drive enclosure and usb cale thru a usb posrt."

OK, so you connected to a laptop and also tried an external enclosure via USB. If this is the 3.5" drive (or similar) at Newegg (see link), it would require 12V, i.e. not something the laptop SATA would typically provide (the laptop 2.5" drives operate with 5V power), but an external enclosure design for 3.5" drives with its own separate power cord should work.

Ok I had no idea.
I use an SSD in the laptop and have erased and cloned multiple SSD via the USB 2.0 port.

Now that I think of it the HDD does not even spin up when connect via USB 2.0 or fr SATA directly knit mobo.

I’ll have to try on a desktop and see if it spins.

If I can get it to work on a desktop does that mean with a laptop I can’t do anything with it?
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

ClixTrix wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 am *I did have the HDD connected into the laptop mobo via sata extension.

ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Frldyz wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:00 pm If I can get it to work on a desktop does that mean with a laptop I can’t do anything with it?
I assume my guess that it is a 3.5" Seagate SATA HDD is correct. If so, the internal SATA power connector on a Laptop would normally not have 12V, as internal laptop 2.5" SATA drives (HDD or SSD) only use 5V. If you look on the label of the HDD, it should state a 12V and 5V amp rating.

Your best bet with the Laptop is the USB connection to external 3.5" drive enclosure (USB to SATA) that has a separate power plug to provide drive power.
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

Solved.

Yes the back of the seagate hdd says 12v.

When directly plugged into mono from laptop- nothing.
When plugged into laptop and 3 different desktops via USB connection when mounted in external drive closure- nothing.
When directly plugged into mobo in a desktop- Eureka. Works perfectly.

SSD’s must not require that much power because I have no issues running an SSD from a USB port.

Thanks everyone. This is good info to know.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Frldyz wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 am SSD’s must not require that much power because I have no issues running an SSD from a USB port.
The USB cable has 5V (ONLY) for powering USB devices and a typical SSD is 5V.

Glad to hear the drive is working OK with standard desktop connection and power.

You're welcome.

Return to “Hardware Support”