Kernel #24 problems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Kernel #24 problems

Post by wpshooter »

Anyone have a guess as to when the problems (blank screen and having to move mouse to get desktop to be displayed) that were caused by
use of Linux Kernel #4.15.0.24, might be fixed ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Mattyboy

Re: Kernel #24 problems

Post by Mattyboy »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:01 pm Anyone have a guess as to when the problems (blank screen and having to move mouse to get desktop to be displayed) that were caused by

Thanks.
Guessing when 4.15.0.25 is released. ?? yeah.

I'm just not running the problem Kernel.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:01 pm Anyone have a guess as to when the problems (blank screen and having to move mouse to get desktop to be displayed) that were caused by

Thanks.
They can only be fixed by using a different kernel. Fall back to a previous version via the GRUB2 menu and then remove -24 until a newer version is released.

That may take a while yet - the Ubuntu guys are in no hurry since they revoked -24 weeks ago, Mint users are only still getting it due to a bug in the Update Manager. bionic-proposed has a fixed version -28 that's currently in certification testing but the next version (-29) is already in the works as well so we'll likely have to wait for that one at least.
drwho

Post by drwho »

I hope that there will soon be a kernel release that fixes the problem of Synaptic touchpad freezes that affects LM 19 with the default kernel
gm10

Post by gm10 »

drwho wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am I hope that there will soon be a kernel release that fixes the problem of Synaptic touchpad freezes that affects LM 19 with the default kernel
apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and relog, but please make your own threads for your own issues.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Kernel #24 problems - hopefully solved by K4.15.0-29#31

Post by karlchen »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:01 pmAnyone have a guess as to when the problems [...] that were caused by
Well, just a few minutes back, kernel K4.15.0-29#31 has arrived here. :D
Whether it fixes all the reported problems on your system, you will have to find out by accepting and installing the update to K4.15.0-29#31.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
drwho

Post by drwho »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:09 am
drwho wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am I hope that there will soon be a kernel release that fixes the problem of Synaptic touchpad freezes that affects LM 19 with the default kernel
apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and relog, but please make your own threads for your own issues.
I had tried apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and it didn't work this time either. In fact the problem seems to occur more frequently now. The xserver-xorg-input-synaptics driver has been replaced by a newer driver called libinput. It performs better than the xorg version. I uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-synaptics before and will do so again because it doesn't help and seems to make the problem worse

I just installed kernel 4.15.0-29 but the problem happened again. I'm sorry if the post is in the wrong place, but it seems quite possible that this is a kernel 4.15.... problem and this thread is about such problems. Edit - I had neglected to reboot after installing 4.15.0-29. The problem hasn't recurred after reboot after several hours of use. I will advise if it happens again. Update - It happened again, but since there is a simple workaround to restart the touchpad without losing work, I regard the problem as just an annoyance that will eventually get fixed as things usually do in LM.
Last edited by drwho on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, drwho.

Maybe the section "Touchpad Drivers" in the Tara release notes holds interesting details about switching the touchpad driver software between "libinput" and "synaptics".

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Hardware Support”