HDMI monitor not detected

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weblike

HDMI monitor not detected

Post by weblike »

I have installed Linux mint 19 on my laptop a week ago and used it at my office with 1 HDMI monitor (worked fine). At home I have used it with 2 aditional monitors: 1 VGA and 1 HDMI.
1. Last evening I wanted to work just on my laptop, opened a the browser, but the window run outside the desktop like the system detected a second monitor (I mention again that I did not had any second monitor attached). Went to "Displays" ->I saw a VGA monitor and disabled it -> from than I could work only on my laptop.

2. Today came back to office-> attached the HDMI monitor, but the laptop did not detected it...Few restarts, but doesn't want to detect the HDMI anymore.
Selection_023.png
Any suggestions please?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: HDMI monitor not detected

Post by ClixTrix »

The first case, where the VGA was active but not connected, I'm guessing you returned the Laptop from Sleep or Hibernate when the VGA was present before it went into sleep or hibernate state. Is that the possible explanation for that case?

The second case might be tied to a problem with the HDMI port, or cable, or monitor. If you use the Display utility in Menu-Preferences and select the "Detect Displays" button, does that refresh and bring back the HDMI. Do you use the home HDMI monitor for any other purposes?
weblike

Post by weblike »

The scenario was this:

1. Work at work with HDMI monitor.....-> all OK. Shut down the laptop normally
2. Go home and work just on laptop-> when opened the browser ->the browser opened like was a second monitor active (outside the laptop monitor) -> So opened Displays and saw a seconf VGA monitor (I disabled it) -> the browser opened OK on laptop's monitor.
Shutdown the laptop corectly
3. In morning I've came to the office and before powering on-> connected the HDMI monitor -> powering on the laptop -> no HDMI
4. Opened Displays -> clicked "Detect monitors" but no detection.

Thank you.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Edit:

I'd also like you to run the following command in Terminal while connected to the problem HDMI monitor (not detected) and post back the results.

grep HDMI /var/log/Xorg.0.log
weblike

Post by weblike »

Interesting:
:)
Arrived home where I have 2 monitors: 1VGA, 1HDMI

plugged in both and guess what, both are working...without doing anything
I'm curious when I go back to the office if is connecting there.

Strange
weblike

Post by weblike »

Arrived at the office ->where I have only 1 monitor and there is not connecting.

I changed the HDMI cable & monitor and no result.

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: XXXXX-K75VJ Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: K75VJ v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K75VJ v: 1.0 serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: 234 date: 11/25/2014
Battery    BAT1: charge: 23.1 Wh 80.3% condition: 28.7/50.8 Wh (57%)
           model: COMPAL PABAS0241231 status: Discharging
           hidpp__1: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
           model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 status: Discharging
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3630QM (-MT-MCP-) arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19154
           clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 1236 MHz 2: 1286 MHz 3: 1385 MHz 4: 1276 MHz 5: 1376 MHz
           6: 1480 MHz 7: 1232 MHz 8: 1278 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 635M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 635M/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (71.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST750LM022_HN size: 750.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 229G used: 38G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:51C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 289 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 1952.8/15919.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (zsh 5.4.2) inxi: 2.3.56 

grep HDMI /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[     7.517] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3 (/dev/input/event17)
weblike

[SOLVED]: HDMI monitor not detected

Post by weblike »

Hi,
Update,

1. I have booted with a liveCD and the monitor was detected.
2. Removed LiveCD and rebooted the laptop.
3. The monitor was detected by the Linux but in disabled state.
4. Run "Display" ->activate HDMI monitor.
Solved.

Return to “Hardware Support”