Can't get sound working on T.V. SOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Can't get sound working on T.V. SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I have a Laptop Pc, connected to a T.V via the HDMI cable. I have a perfect picture on the T.V. but NO sound. Strangely enough if I go to sound settings and TEST speakers this test works, but play a video nothing.I have tried fiddling with various Inputs, Outputs but still nothing. Any help please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Can't get sound working on T.V.

Post by MrEen »

Hi bicky. I assume when you said the test worked, that you meant your laptop speakers produced the sound, not the TV. Is this correct?

Most likely, you can get this sorted with pavucontrol. If you don't already have it, you can get it through the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager or in the terminal type apt install pavucontrol.

Once you open it, go to the Configuration tab and look for HDMI settings. You probably want Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output, or Digital Stereo (HDMI 2) Output, etc. You'll have to experiment to find the correct one.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't get sound working on T.V.

Post by bicky »

Hi - got it - installed pavucontrol - problem sorted. Many thanks.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Can't get sound working on T.V. SOLVED

Post by MrEen »

Great! You're very welcome. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”