Bluetooth and audio problems in 19 Cinnamon

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pedronell88

Bluetooth and audio problems in 19 Cinnamon

Post by pedronell88 »

Hello, I have just installed MInt 19 Cinnamon and it seems everything went fine and things work except for my Bluetooth and audio.

For the audio part I'm using regular headphones, and the sound control shows it detects the headphones:
Screenshot from 2018-07-19 00-54-32.png
I have played around with it but have not gotten it to work. I have tried plugging them in in the output from the back of the PC (I believe it has a dedicated sound addapter) and it switches to Digital Output but I still get no sound.

Here I have some screens of the hardware list that mentioned something about sound:
Audio Hardware Linst.jpg
HDMI Sound.jpg
I have my monitor plugged in to my graphics card (GTX 760) with DisplayPort and it works fine. However it shows something about Audio and HDMI? The HDMI port is on the motherboard but I have nothing plugged into it.

With my Bluetooth I have worse problems, I can't see the adapter on the Terminal when using lshw, on the Bluetooth app it says there is no Bluetooth adapter found. I have Manjaro 17.1.11 XFCE installed as well in a partition on my same drive, I installed both of them as I'm switching over to Linux and are the ones I saw were most recommended and decided to try both and see which one I like best. Tried Manjaro first and had the same problem with both Audio and Bluetooth, however when listing hardware on the Terminal it did recognize the Bluetooth adapter. I didn't really like the XCFE DE so decided try out Mint before dwelling into trouble shooting and lets just say I'm loving Mint Cinnamon 19.

I'm very new to Linux so these fixes I believe should be easy, however I haven't ben able to find a solution by reading tutorials online; any thoughts on how I can resolve these issues? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pedronell88

Re: Bluetooth and audio problems in 19 Cinnamon

Post by pedronell88 »

blanco12 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:33 am I was just about to open a ticket for this. Indeed, when you switch the audio input in the cinnamon applet, it does nothing, volume values and actual pulseaudio input remain unchanged. Using the pulseaudio applet (pasystray) to change the audio source works however, so this is a problem with the cinnamon applet only.
I´ll give pasystray a go later today when I get back home. However on Manjaro I was having the same issues so maybe it´s a deeper problem and not just the Cinnamon applet?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi pedronell88, and welcome to the forum.

While I can't help with Bluetooth, I think I might have the solution for your headphones. Install and run PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) and go to the Configuration tab. At least one of the Profile boxes will say something to the effect of "Digital Stereo (S/PDIF)" and that is the cause of your issue. You want "Analog Stereo Duplex " chosen on that tab. It might be in a different Profile box. If so, change the Digital one to "Off" and test your sound.

Good luck.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

MrEen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:39 pm Hi pedronell88, and welcome to the forum.

While I can't help with Bluetooth, I think I might have the solution for your headphones. Install and run PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) and go to the Configuration tab. At least one of the Profile boxes will say something to the effect of "Digital Stereo (S/PDIF)" and that is the cause of your issue. You want "Analog Stereo Duplex " chosen on that tab. It might be in a different Profile box. If so, change the Digital one to "Off" and test your sound.

Good luck.
Hey man thanks for the help. I tried that and still doesn't work. On the Volume Control applet it's on "Analog Stereo Output" in the "Configuration" tab, and on the "Output Devices" tab for Port it has "Headphones (plugged in)". So it its all being detected I don't know what else to do. The headphones work on my phone and on my Mac and they have worked in the computer I installed Mint on so that shouldn't be the problem plus I have tried other headphones as well. Any other advice you might have? Or any info you might want me to look up to have some more details on the situation?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Paste back the results of pacmd list-sinks while something with sound is playing on the computer.

The reuslts of aplay -l would be good, too.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

blanco12 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:33 am I was just about to open a ticket for this. Indeed, when you switch the audio input in the cinnamon applet, it does nothing, volume values and actual pulseaudio input remain unchanged. Using the pulseaudio applet (pasystray) to change the audio source works however, so this is a problem with the cinnamon applet only.

Hey man, for some reason I had missed your post. Just installed Pasystray and problem is still there. It identifies when headphones are plugged in but still no output. When I unplug them it switches to another output and I still get nothing through the line out in the motherboard.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:44 am Paste back the results of pacmd list-sinks while something with sound is playing on the computer.

The reuslts of aplay -l would be good, too.
Here's for pacmd list-sinks with a video playing on VLC, headphones plugged in.

Code: Select all

jpedroza@PC-JCPA:~$ pacmd list-sinks
1 sink(s) available.
  * index: 8
	name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: RUNNING
	suspend cause: 
	priority: 9039
	volume: front-left: 21100 /  32% / -29.53 dB,   front-right: 21100 /  32% / -29.53 dB
	        balance 0.00
	base volume: 46396 /  71% / -9.00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 51.58 ms
	max request: 0 KiB
	max rewind: 64 KiB
	monitor source: 15
	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right
	             Stereo
	used by: 4
	linked by: 4
	configured latency: 2.00 ms; range is 2.00 .. 371.52 ms
	card: 1 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0>
	module: 8
	properties:
		alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
		device.api = "alsa"
		device.class = "sound"
		alsa.class = "generic"
		alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
		alsa.name = "CA0132 Analog"
		alsa.id = "CA0132 Analog"
		alsa.subdevice = "0"
		alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
		alsa.device = "0"
		alsa.card = "0"
		alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH"
		alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7130000 irq 28"
		alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
		device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0"
		sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0"
		device.bus = "pci"
		device.vendor.id = "8086"
		device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
		device.product.id = "8c20"
		device.product.name = "8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller"
		device.form_factor = "internal"
		device.string = "front:0"
		device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"
		device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
		device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
		device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
		device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo"
		device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
		alsa.mixer_name = "Creative CA0132"
		alsa.components = "HDA:11020011,38421035,00100918"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	ports:
		analog-output-lineout: Line Out (priority 9900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
			properties:
				device.icon_name = "audio-headphones"
	active port: <analog-output-headphones>
Here's for aplay -l

Code: Select all

jpedroza@PC-JCPA:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CA0132 Analog [CA0132 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: CA0132 Digital [CA0132 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
jpedroza@PC-JCPA:~$ 
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

As far as I can tell, everything there looks good. Here's a possibility to check:

In the terminal, type alsamixer and it should open to your default sound card (card 0.) Make sure none of the columns have M or MM at the bottom. If they do, use the arrow keys to move to them, then press m to unmute. When done, press the Esc key.

Edit to add: This worked for someone with the same card that you have here.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

I did that as well. Look at this creen in the applet, it seems it detects two cards, one with NVDIA, byt my graphicscard (GTX 760) does not have a dedicated audio output, just DP and DVI. I'm trying to play around with the offered drivers. Although I'm thinking it might be the motherboard EVGA Z87 Stinger, it has a "Creative Sound Core3D Quad-Core Audio" audio card, that might be the problem as I have not been able to find an actual driver for it or the motherboard, just the graphics card.
Screenshot from 2018-07-20 22-08-54.png
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

There might be more options there. Either use the right arrow 8+ times, or expand the window horizontally. And that is showing what's available for the Creative card. See in the upper left second line.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:18 pm There might be more options there. Either use the right arrow 8+ times, or expand the window horizontally. And that is showing what's available for the Creative card. See in the upper left second line.
Wow dude please don't hate me, I had only pressed "right" for the number of displayed columns. Now it works thank you so much. And my Bluetooth started working after a re-install so now I'm all set, so happy! Finally ready to begin learning about the command line and such bug free, at least for the time being. Again thanks all for the help.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

That's great! Happy to help. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”