Laptop Backlight Does not turn back on After Sleep

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snorty
Level 1
Level 1

Laptop Backlight Does not turn back on After Sleep

Post by snorty »

The laptop is a Asus G725v. It Has been running Mint perfectly for years. But recently, when the Screen or Computer sleep, the backlight or screen does not come back on when it awakes.

Anybody have this issue or know of a solution? Thanks?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carum carvi

Re: Laptop Backlight Does not turn back on After Sleep

Post by carum carvi »

Welcome to the Linux forum Snorty!

Unfortunately problems with suspend and hibernation are very common with Linux. But fortunately everything worked fine before in your case. Therefore I have high hopes that this problem can be solved.

Does your screen come back after a reboot?

Do you mean "suspend" or "hibernation" with the word "sleep"?

What kind of version of LinuxMint are you using right now?

Have you recently gotten a new kernel version? This often affects issues with suspend or hibernation. Changing back to an earlier kernel version that caused no problems is often the only and best working solution.

Select menu, then type "system information" , then you will find what type of linux system you are using.
ldcjmd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ldcjmd »

Yes, extensive Details are always needed here, to get useful help. Is your ASUS the "ROG" bad boy with the nVidia GTX 10 GPU? "All" nVidia GPU devices have had proprietary Drivers for many years. The 'soft' GPU drivers in the GNU/Linux world can never get "all" functions correct. [ See Webster's definition for Proprietary ] More importantly for you, is that your GPU will generate HEAT when stressed, which your laptop 'mini' Cooling System may NOT be able to move out ... causing Overheating/Dead PC. Be very careful to monitor your GPU and CPU and HDD temperatures, at all times!... BEFORE making changes.
snorty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snorty »

Does your screen come back after a reboot?
Yes

Do you mean "suspend" or "hibernation" with the word "sleep"?
Yes. The issue happens after Suspend, Hibernation and if the Screen Turns Off after time.

What kind of version of LinuxMint are you using right now?
Currently, it's Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

Have you recently gotten a new kernel version?
Yes, so I did try rolling back, but it did not resolve the issue. Since then, I have had a few kernal updates occur.

Select menu, then type "system information" , then you will find what type of linux system you are using.
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Kernal 4.15.0-38-generic
snorty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snorty »

It's a GeForce GTX 970M (GM204M).
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Snorty, What was the Linux OS with which everything worked fine before?

Did you install new Nvidea drivers just before everything started going wrong with your screen?
Have you tried disabling the Nvidea drivers and have you tried installing the LinuxMInt Noveau drivers instead?

Select "Menu" and type "Driver ". Click on the Driver Management icon and check what sort of driver you are currently using. You can select the LinuxMint nouveau driver in that very same field.

Snorty, another step you can take to find out what is going in is the following:
select "Menu" and type "Logfiles". Open the logfiles and look at the submenu "Important". It will list the most important error messages. Double click on every error message to see what level of importance the error messages are.

Post back the results of the error messages on the forum so more forum users can help you find the cause of your problem.
snorty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snorty »

Hi Carum,

I've tried both Nvidia and Nouveau drivers, but the same issue occurs.

My system doesn't have Logfiles. Do I need to install it? In System Log I can't find any obvious issues.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Snorty, in my memory every linuxmint OS by default has got a logfile program. LinuxMint 18.3 as well. Different name in a different language perhaps. But if you left click on "MENU", then immediately start typing "log" a number of programs with "log" in the name will appear. Click on "Logfiles" to open it. Click on "Important". Double click the several error messages to see which level of importance they are. Level 0 is important. 3 and below is less urgent. Copy back the results in this forum.

Did you install new Nvidea drivers just before everything started going wrong with your screen? Your graphics card is relatively new, from around 2014. I read online that numerous people complained about the drivers for this Nvidea graphics card.

Snorty, What was the Linux OS with which everything worked fine before? Was that LM18.3 Cinnamon?

Please do post the output of the command:
inxi -Fxz
Beware that there is a space behind "inxi". This terminal command will give you a summary of your pc hardware. If you copy paste back the hardware specs forummembers can better help you with solving possible conflicts.

Return to “Hardware Support”