USB problem detecting device.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CIMc

USB problem detecting device.

Post by CIMc »

It's been years since I posted here and that's because Linux is just so good, I haven't needed to. Until now.
I have a Peterson Stroboplus tuner that can be upgraded through usb to include a metronome via an app( Peterson Connect) .
My computer sees the tuner when plugged in but the Connect app wont detect it.
I've contacted Peterson, who have been very helpful, and they sent me a script but I'm not a great computer geek.
This is the post they sent.

On most Linux systems, USB devices are mapped with read-only permissions by default. To allow Chrome to open a USB device, you will need to add a new udev rule. Create a file at /etc/udev/rules.d/50-yourdevicename.rules with the following content:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="[yourdevicevendor]", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"

where [yourdevicevendor] is 9064 ( Peterson ). Make sure your user is a member of the plugdev group. ATTR{idProduct} can also be added for a more specific rule. Then, just reconnect your device.

Here are optional product ID's for StroboPlus. If specifying product ID, you'll need two - one for StroboPlus standard mode and one for StroboPlus update mode......

{"vendorId": 9064, "productId": 3} StroboPLUS Standard
{"vendorId": 9064, "productId": 32771} StroboPlus Update

Now this is how I wrote the script.
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR StroboPLUS Standard =="9064", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR StroboPlus Update =="9064", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"

Anyway, it didn't work. Have I screwed up the syntax? Or if anyone can point me into the right direction I would be very appreciative.
Peterson offered to refund the money I paid if I can't get it to work but I really need that metronome.
Cheers Col.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: USB problem detecting device.

Post by thx-1138 »

...i *think* it should look like this:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="9064", ATTR{idProduct}=="3", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="9064", ATTR{idProduct}=="32771", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
Assuming that's correct, sudo udevadm control --reload-rules, and re-plug the metronome...
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

A product ID of 32771 is a head scratcher, unless that is decimal. Normally, USB product ID (and Vendor ID) is 16-bit expressed in four digit Hex (0000 - FFFF).

I agree with thx-1138 on syntax, although I would probably code the Product ID as "0003" vs "3".

It might be a good idea if the 32771 doesn't work to plug in the device to USB port, run the following command from Terminal, and post back the results. That command will provide all the attributes for the device in detail.

Code: Select all

lsusb -v
Edit: In cross-checking the vendor ID of 9064, I find no reference. In checking the decimal 9064 to hex of 2368, I find Peterson Electro-Musical Products Inc. So, those numbers are in decimal. Honestly, I've never seen it coded in decimal. Most examples I've located have it in hex. The Hex convert of 32771 is 8003. It looks like the high-order bit is set "1" to distinguish the Update from Standard version. That makes sense.
CIMc

Post by CIMc »

Thanks for your help guys, neither solution worked so I borrowed a laptop and d/led through Win. Cheers Col

Return to “Hardware Support”