Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Axfinger
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cursor freeze on Mint 19

Post by Axfinger » Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 am

Pleased to get the responses. In taking Karl's advice, I checked out a few threads on Ask Ubuntu. While I haven't found a definitive fix, I have found a new way to fix the problem when it shows up. When your cursor freezes:

- Ctrl + Alt + t to bring up a terminal
- Type sudo modprobe -r psmouse (This will uninstall the mouse driver).
- Type sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps (re-install)

This may be faster for unfreezing your mouse then the other ways of doing it. It hasn't fixed my problem, but now I can unfreeze the mouse whenever I want with these commands. Also if you leave a terminal window up that you have already run a sudo command on, you won't have to re-input your password every time. Still hoping for a real solution but at least there is a bandaid!

Ax

Axfinger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Axfinger » Thu May 16, 2019 12:25 pm

After digging some more, this thread talks about some possible solutions:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linu ... -p/4004815

However, being new to linux, I don't know how to add psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1 to grub.conf

Is anyone else able to make any of this work?

Ax

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Hello, Axfinger.

The file to which the parameter psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1 should be added is not grub.conf, but the file /etc/default/grub. Here is how to do so and how to make Grub use the changed file:
  1. Open a terminal window.
  2. Execute the commandline sudoedit /etc/default/grub
    (The command sudoedit works on all Mint versions and will launch the editor nano with root privileges)
  3. Inside the file /etc/default/grub locate the line which starts with the parameter name GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
    By default the line will read GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    Note: all kernel parameters have to be enclosed in a single pair of double quotes. Do not remove the double quotes.
  4. Add the parameter psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1 to the existing parameters. Do not change the already present parameters.
  5. In the given example the correctly changed line would read: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1"
  6. Save the file and exit from nano.
  7. Tell Grub to rebuild its configuration using the changed file /etc/default/grub by executing the command: sudo update-grub
  8. Starting with your next reboot the kernel parameter psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1 should be effective.
Hope this help solve the touchpad problem.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Axfinger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Axfinger » Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for the detailed instructions Karl. Unfortunately, while this did add the line it was supposed to, it did not fix the problem. What a pernicious problem this is.

Ax

Axfinger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Axfinger » Sat May 18, 2019 2:17 am

Have not found the fix for this yet, but here is more reading on the subject: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1802135

Ax

mopa9800
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mopa9800 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Axfinger wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 pm
Thanks for the detailed instructions Karl. Unfortunately, while this did add the line it was supposed to, it did not fix the problem. What a pernicious problem this is.

Ax
FYI - This problem is still present after installation of the new kernel 4.15.0-29.

Axfinger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Axfinger » Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 pm

More reading on the subject. After reading about the power management thing, I removed TLP from my system in case it was the culprit. Things worked ok for a while, but ultimately the problem showed up again.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection

Ax

ihateusernames
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ihateusernames » Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 am

Hi, is it possible to put the terminal commands to uninstall and reinstall the mouse into a keyboard shortcut or desktop launcher, so if it happens (which at the moment is quite regularly) I can just tap something and restart the mouse?

BTW my problem is with a laptop touchpad, not a mouse - is the command the same?

Is there a command to simply reset the touchpad, rather than reinstalling it? (seems a bit excessive - it works fine again on restart)

Could you give me step-by-step instructions on how to do any of this?

Can I assume this is a known bug and a fix will be issued shortly?

Thanks.

voyrev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by voyrev » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi
Lenovo Ideapad 320
Problem: Elan Touchpad (and a cursor, of course) randomly freezes, The system (ubuntu 18.04) needs to be rebooted.

My workaround solution (with modprobe) is:

to make 2 scripts- I named them touchactive.sh and touchactive2.sh in /bin ( do it with sudo gedit...or something)

touchactive.sh (that contains this...)

#!/bin/bash

modprobe -r elan_i2c

(and...)

touchactive2.sh

#!/bin/bash

modprobe elan_i2c

then in terminal: sudo visudo

you add these lines:

vader ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /bin/touchactive.sh
vader ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /bin/touchactive2.sh

vader is my user name, so you change it with yours...
..and save it

open system settings -> keyboard -> "+" -> and create shortcuts with keybinding:

name "Touchpad Elan Restart" 1 with keys "super" + "z"
command: sudo /bin/touchactive.sh
and... "Touchpad Elan Restart 2" with keys "super" + "x"
command: sudo /bin/touchactive2.sh

restart computer

(this is my example you can choose different option and names)

so when all freezes, you can just use keys super z and super x then your touchpad / cursor restarts without rebooting the whole system.

this is my solution and some relief (not very elegant, though...) so I can work normaly until release of a next kernel ( there is some hope...)

cheers
voyrev

venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:25 am

Had the same problem with a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (Synaptic touchpad) with Mint-XFCE 19.1 with kernel 5.0.0.17. I went back to 5.0.0.16 and it seems to be working OK for now.

Axfinger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Axfinger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:14 am

venik212 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:25 am
Had the same problem with a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (Synaptic touchpad) with Mint-XFCE 19.1 with kernel 5.0.0.17. I went back to 5.0.0.16 and it seems to be working OK for now.
I tried this and sadly it doesn't work for me. Lenovo Carbon X1 2nd Gen

venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:28 pm

I was happy prematurely-- returning from suspend still finds the cursor frozen often (but not always...) under ANY kernel I tried. So I reboot A LOT, and hate it.

DareDevil73
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DareDevil73 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:07 am

I have a similiar issue which I described here https://github.com/Syniurge/i2c-amd-mp2/issues/13.

Return to “Hardware Support”