Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Canon PIXMA 922 and Mint 19

Post by EdB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:37 pm

I had this printer working fine on Mint 17, but am not doing so well with Mint 19.

With 17, I used the Linux drivers that Canon provides which are available by searching the web. They worked fine for both printing and scanning. With 19, I can get them to install and the system detects the printer, but I cannot print a test page. The test page gets sent and the printer shows activity in the status window, but nothing comes out. Interestingly, the scanner portion seems to work fine.

I am just now beginning to do in-depth testing for 19, but for now have to dual-boot Windows 7 to get other stuff done. In the meantime, if anyone has suggestions as to how to try to get my printer thing working, feel free to respond. My Linux/Mint knowledge is not very deep right now, so I may come off as a bit clueless with some of my questions and approaches.

blockhead47
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Canon PIXMA 922 and Mint 19

Post by blockhead47 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:04 pm

My first question would be is it connected via USB or LAN?

I have this very printer connected to my LAN and 3 Mint 19 Cinnamon PCs work with it just fine, both printing and scanning.

EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 am

It is connected as a network printer (router, not wireless). Not using the USB.
Anyway, I just tried to do a print from Libre, and it came through just fine! So maybe it's the test print thing that is quirky.

Since you have experience with this printer (which is a clunker but I love it for some reason - I am on my third one), are you using the linux driver? I could not get the generic CUPS or whatever it is to recognize it. And if you are using the linux driver, can you see any of the various properties windows that are visible with the Windows driver - things like ink levels, custom printing presets, etc? Have you tried using the printable CD tray with linux?

And thanks a bunch for replying.

blockhead47
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blockhead47 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:26 am

I use the drivers and ScanGear app from Canon's web site.

Get them at https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... D0F1Q42K25 if you have not already done so.
Select Operating System Linux, not Linux 64 or 32bit.

MX920 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.90 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)
MX920 series ScanGear MP Ver. 2.10 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

The printer is used mostly by the wife unit who uses Windows 7. I don't recall trying to use Linux to print CD labels from the CD tray. My wife has certainly done that with printable CDs. The Canon Windows provided software to do that is excellent.

I do not see anything in the Linux menus that let me select the Printable CD tray or upper cassette. I have a cheap Epson XP-440 Printer/Scanner I use on MY Linux system. Nothing fancy, 1 feed tray and no document feeder but it serves my needs.

Return to “Hardware Support”