High cpu temperature <---(Solved)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

High cpu temperature <---(Solved)

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am

Hi all :)

I am a new Linux user since 4-5 months back and I have a cpu temperature problem with my acer E1-572.
My computer has dual boot windows7 and Linux mint mate 18.3. In windows my cpu temperature is around 36-39 degrees Celsius in idle.. but in Linux it is pendeling between 49 to 53 degrees(cpu load between 1-3%). When I just browsing the web the temperature gets up to around 70degrees(cpu load around 20-35%).. but not in windows.. then it's stable around 43-45C. I use Firefox both in windows and linux.

In linux i doesn't have a lot of programs installed, just a basic Mint mate with home office network setup.. In windows i have a few desktop gadgets, microsoft office 2010, Avast antivirus and a few lightweight pc-games..
So my windows installation should be more demanding then my Linux installation.... but it is the other way around instead :?

So why is my cpu temperature so much higher in Linux?
Is there anything I can do to make it go cooler?

The fan is working (I can hear it spinning up and down) and it's newly cleaned.

Specifications
acer E1-572
Intel i5-4200U x64
6Gb ram
Graphics Intel HD 4400
HDD 750Gb SATA

Code: Select all

2 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Aspire-E1-572 Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: EA50_HW v: V2.13
           Bios: Insyde v: V2.13 date: 11/21/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9178
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 2300 MHz 2: 2300 MHz 3: 2393 MHz
           4: 2389 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.10hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57786 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0f0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1160.2GB (61.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9160412AS size: 160.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Desktop size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 62G used: 46G (78%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.31GB used: 3.95GB (63%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 228 Uptime: 30 days Memory: 5045.4/5849.9MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Last edited by Marie SWE on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10973
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 am

First try a kernel upgrade:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Install the latest kernel from the 4.15 series. Then reboot.

By the way: colouring your text is not a good idea... It distracts from the content. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 am

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 am
First try a kernel upgrade:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Install the latest kernel from the 4.15 series. Then reboot.

By the way: colouring your text is not a good idea... It distracts from the content. :wink:
I thank you for the tip, I will try it. :)
Okay, the color is gone :wink: :mrgreen:

Edit:
I can't see any kernel updates :?
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

User avatar
ClixTrix
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 749
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by ClixTrix » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am

From Update Manger, select "View" (at top) and then select "Linux Kernels" from the drop-down menu.
Linux Mint 18.3 x64 Cinnamon 4.15.0-39-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / Sapphire Radeon HD6450
NVMe-SSD Samsung 960 EVO 250GB / SATA-HDD WD1600BEKT 160GB / SATA-SSD Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10973
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am

Marie SWE wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 am
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 am
First try a kernel upgrade:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Install the latest kernel from the 4.15 series. Then reboot.

By the way: colouring your text is not a good idea... It distracts from the content. :wink:
I can't see any kernel updates :?
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 am

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by ZakGordon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 am

I'll just post and say check the link in my sig once you've gone through other suggestions. I installed Mint on two laptops over the last few years, one (an old but expensive top of the range HP Pavilion HDX with discrete GPU) cooked itself to death, so DO keep monitoring your system.

You can install and use psensor from the Software Manager (Menu>Administration>Software Manager then input your password and use the 'search' box to find the software (there are two things to install, not the 'server' one though).

Both my laptops ran cooler under Windows by about 15-20 degrees (both Vista originally), and while various software tweaks did not do much (even the link in my sig is a bit hit and miss), i found using extra fans to blow air into the laptops cases was worth a good 10 degrees C reduction.

Currently i hit a peak of about 80 degrees C in the still running laptop, and this really only happens when watching youtube video's, just regular web use keeps it in the 60 degrees C range.

It seems to be an issue some people get more than others, but the machine that cooked itself was down to the Nvidia 8600 it used NOT accepting the linux nvidia drivers and always running in software rendering mode,which stopped the cards own fans from running to keep it cool. It hit 100 degrees C one time too many sadly. So take any overheating issues seriously :)
Laptop overheating issues? Check link below:
TLP

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 am

I had one level 1 update and i tried to install it.. but dit only get an error..

I lot of the text below was in Swedish, so i tried to translate it before this post.. So i hope i did get it right and you understand it. :D

Code: Select all

Pre-configure packages ...
(Reading database ... 242328 files and directories installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-base_4.5ubuntu1~16.04.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking linux-base (4.5ubuntu1~16.04.1) över (4.0ubuntu1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../mintupdate_5.3.2.5_all.deb ...
Unpacking mintupdate (5.3.2.5) över (5.3.2) ...
Handles trigger for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Handles trigger for desktop-file-utils (0.22+linuxmint1) ...
Handles trigger for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
Handles trigger for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.48.2-0ubuntu1) ...
Handles trigger for hicolor-icon-theme (0.15-0ubuntu1) ...
Sets samba (2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.13) ...
Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
● smbd.service - LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/smbd; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since tis 2018-08-07 16:19:38 CEST; 43ms ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 17964 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/smbd start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

aug 07 16:19:34 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS....
aug 07 16:19:38 Aspire-E1-572 smbd[17964]:  * Starting SMB/CIFS daemon smbd
aug 07 16:19:38 Aspire-E1-572 smbd[17964]:    ...fail!
aug 07 16:19:38 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: smbd.service: Control process exit...1
aug 07 16:19:38 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start Samba S....
aug 07 16:19:38 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: smbd.service: Unit entered failed ....
aug 07 16:19:38 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: smbd.service: Failed with result '....
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: Error handling package samba (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script gave error code 1
dpkg: depending problems prevents configuration of system-config-samba:
 system-config-samba is depending of samba, but:
  package samba has not yet been configure.

dpkg: Error handling package system-config-samba (--configure):
 depending problems - leaving unconfigured
Sets linux-base (4.5ubuntu1~16.04.1) ...
No app report was written because the error message indicates that there is a subsequent error from a previous problemem.
                                           Sets mintupdate (5.3.2.5) ...
Handles trigger for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...
Errors occurred during handling:
 samba
 system-config-samba
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Sets samba (2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.13) ...
Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
● smbd.service - LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/smbd; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since tis 2018-08-07 16:19:49 CEST; 6ms ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 18083 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/smbd start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

aug 07 16:19:49 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS....
aug 07 16:19:49 Aspire-E1-572 smbd[18083]:  * Starting SMB/CIFS daemon smbd
aug 07 16:19:49 Aspire-E1-572 smbd[18083]:    ...fail!
aug 07 16:19:49 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: smbd.service: Control process exit...1
aug 07 16:19:49 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start Samba S....
aug 07 16:19:49 Aspire-E1-572 systemd[1]: smbd.service: Unit entered failed ....
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: Error handling package samba (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script gave error code 1
dpkg: depending problems prevents configuration of system-config-samba:
 system-config-samba is depending of samba, but:
  package samba has not yet been configure.

dpkg: Error handling package system-config-samba (--configure):
 depending problems - leaving unconfigured
Handles trigger for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ... 
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 am

ZakGordon wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 am
I'll just post and say check the link in my sig once you've gone through other suggestions. I installed Mint on two laptops over the last few years, one (an old but expensive top of the range HP Pavilion HDX with discrete GPU) cooked itself to death, so DO keep monitoring your system.

You can install and use psensor from the Software Manager (Menu>Administration>Software Manager then input your password and use the 'search' box to find the software (there are two things to install, not the 'server' one though).

Both my laptops ran cooler under Windows by about 15-20 degrees (both Vista originally), and while various software tweaks did not do much (even the link in my sig is a bit hit and miss), i found using extra fans to blow air into the laptops cases was worth a good 10 degrees C reduction.

Currently i hit a peak of about 80 degrees C in the still running laptop, and this really only happens when watching youtube video's, just regular web use keeps it in the 60 degrees C range.

It seems to be an issue some people get more than others, but the machine that cooked itself was down to the Nvidia 8600 it used NOT accepting the linux nvidia drivers and always running in software rendering mode,which stopped the cards own fans from running to keep it cool. It hit 100 degrees C one time too many sadly. So take any overheating issues seriously :)
I think i saw your thread before i posted this one. Unfortunately i can't have an extra fan with me when I'm away with the computer. :(
My cpu has never exceeded 80 degrees C. I have mate sensors applet running all the time.. so my internal fan is working.. but it's still too high in idle and just simple web browsing. :?
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 am

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by ZakGordon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 am

I use a usb fan, so it can go where the laptop goes. I just then do stuff like open the DVD slot to direct air into the internal case. It's a bonus that in the summer i also get a breeze from the fan :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0092X97IW/ ... TNLCX?th=1

That was one of them, and does a decent job and can be positioned easily.
Laptop overheating issues? Check link below:
TLP

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:55 am

ZakGordon wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 am
I use a usb fan, so it can go where the laptop goes. I just then do stuff like open the DVD slot to direct air into the internal case. It's a bonus that in the summer i also get a breeze from the fan :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0092X97IW/ ... TNLCX?th=1

That was one of them, and does a decent job and can be positioned easily.
Okay, that looks like a big fan. :)
I don't have a dvd/ODD in my computer.. so i can't do as you do :? But a good provisional solution. :D
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

User avatar
Faust
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 am

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Faust » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Marie SWE wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am
....
So my windows installation should be more demanding then my Linux installation.... but it is the other way around instead :?
....
I agree , it's odd .
I have a very similar dual-boot system ( W7 and Mint 18.3 Cinnamon / i5 8GB laptop ) and I never hear the fan spin up ,
unless it's a heavy task that I have started myself , in either OS .

It can't be hardware related ( fan / dust / thermal paste ) because it would affect each OS equally .
I don't have an answer , but I'd be searching for processes that were hogging resources , in Linux .

Type " top " in a terminal and look at the %CPU column

It might shed some light for others here to help further .
If it is a kernel issue , I would follow advice from pjotr , not me :)
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am
Marie SWE wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 am
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 am
First try a kernel upgrade:
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

Install the latest kernel from the 4.15 series. Then reboot.

By the way: colouring your text is not a good idea... It distracts from the content. :wink:
I can't see any kernel updates :?
Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels
I forgot to quote you. :oops: my post viewtopic.php?p=1508719#p1508719 was to you. :)
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Faust wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm
Marie SWE wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am
....
So my windows installation should be more demanding then my Linux installation.... but it is the other way around instead :?
....
I agree , it's odd .
I have a very similar dual-boot system ( W7 and Mint 18.3 Cinnamon / i5 8GB laptop ) and I never hear the fan spin up ,
unless it's a heavy task that I have started myself , in either OS .

It can't be hardware related ( fan / dust / thermal paste ) because it would affect each OS equally .
I don't have an answer , but I'd be searching for processes that were hogging resources , in Linux .

Type " top " in a terminal and look at the %CPU column

It might shed some light for others here to help further .
If it is a kernel issue , I would follow advice from pjotr , not me :)
no the fan doesn't spin up without reason.. I always is the reason if the cpu activity exceeds above 5%..
in exactly this moment when i write this answer to you, the cpu pendling between 4-30%.. I have three firefox windows open and around 10-12 tabs in each.. my Program Manager is open, my terminal.. My cpu is at 59degrees in this moment peeks at 62degrees.. the fan is spinning up at 60degrees.

Edit: when i do exactly the same in windows, the cpu is around 45degrees then.
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4145
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Marie SWE wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am
My computer has dual boot windows7 and Linux mint mate 18.3. In windows my cpu temperature is around 36-39 degrees Celsius in idle.. but in Linux it is pendeling between 49 to 53 degrees(cpu load between 1-3%). When I just browsing the web the temperature gets up to around 70degrees(cpu load around 20-35%).. but not in windows.. then it's stable around 43-45C. I use Firefox both in windows and linux.
50°C at idle cpu can only really be explained by a broken fan control, might have to set your fan speeds manually, here's a good overview: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control

20-35% CPU load web browsing seems pretty high with your CPU. Is that for watching videos? None of the browsers in the repository are compiled for hardware accelerated video playback, so it all goes through the CPU and that would explain it then. Otherwise that's too high unless you visit pages with complex javascript or don't have an ad-blocker and have some crypt-miners running in the background. ;)

User avatar
trytip
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by trytip » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:43 pm

have you tested chrome browser with youtube? i would not use kernel 4.15 for you in 18.3 it would be better to use the LTS 4.4 did you actually configure sensors with sudo sensors-detect
Image

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm
Marie SWE wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am
My computer has dual boot windows7 and Linux mint mate 18.3. In windows my cpu temperature is around 36-39 degrees Celsius in idle.. but in Linux it is pendeling between 49 to 53 degrees(cpu load between 1-3%). When I just browsing the web the temperature gets up to around 70degrees(cpu load around 20-35%).. but not in windows.. then it's stable around 43-45C. I use Firefox both in windows and linux.
50°C at idle cpu can only really be explained by a broken fan control, might have to set your fan speeds manually, here's a good overview: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control

20-35% CPU load web browsing seems pretty high with your CPU. Is that for watching videos? None of the browsers in the repository are compiled for hardware accelerated video playback, so it all goes through the CPU and that would explain it then. Otherwise that's too high unless you visit pages with complex javascript or don't have an ad-blocker and have some crypt-miners running in the background. ;)
:lol: nooo no crypt-mining. :wink: I have much better computers then this one if i want to bitcoin mining, but i don't..
But i have three or four firefox windows open at the same time.. and around 10-15 tabs in each.. so I'm logged in on four forms right now and i have four five tabs on each forums, i have the local news open, weather services, a lot of duckduckgo searches on different things(mostly linux searches right now in this moment)
So i don't think its abnormal with 20-35% in the peaks.... or is it?

Edit:
the lint for Fan speed control, seems to be for Dell, asus and thinkpad laptops. I have a Acer E1-572
Last edited by Marie SWE on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:08 pm

trytip wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:43 pm
have you tested chrome browser with youtube? i would not use kernel 4.15 for you in 18.3 it would be better to use the LTS 4.4 did you actually configure sensors with sudo sensors-detect
I don't watch youtube clips to often.. ones or twice a month perhaps... and all things with google, i do avoid

edit: I have Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64
I tried to update, but i only got an error code and no update was made...
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10973
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:30 pm

I advise to do a clean installation of Mint 19. This just might solve all of your problems. And if not, it'll be easier to help you. At least for me, because all my machines are running on Mint 19 now....

This is an official Swedish mirror with the right iso:
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/linuxmint. ... bit-v2.iso
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4145
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Marie SWE wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 pm

:lol: nooo no crypt-mining. :wink: I have much better computers then this one if i want to bitcoin mining, but i don't..
But i have three or four firefox windows open at the same time.. and around 10-15 tabs in each.. so I'm logged in on four forms right now and i have four five tabs on each forums, i have the local news open, weather services, a lot of duckduckgo searches on different things(mostly linux searches right now in this moment)
So i don't think its abnormal with 20-35% in the peaks.... or is it?

Edit:
the lint for Fan speed control, seems to be for Dell, asus and thinkpad laptops. I have a Acer E1-572
I actually meant crypt-mining javascripts on websites you visit. And no. 20-35% in the peaks sounds fine.

The fan speed link is for all systems, just ignore the device-specific stuff. Just stick to the lm-sensors part at the top.

Also certainly nothing wrong with a clean install of Mint 19 as suggested by Pjotr. It might run better out of the box (you can try it in a live environment first).

Marie SWE
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: High cpu temperature

Post by Marie SWE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:30 pm
I advise to do a clean installation of Mint 19. This just might solve all of your problems. And if not, it'll be easier to help you. At least for me, because all my machines are running on Mint 19 now....

This is an official Swedish mirror with the right iso:
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/linuxmint. ... bit-v2.iso
Thanks for the direct link..... download.... done. :mrgreen:
I'm a member in swedish Mint forums. I found it thru a link on this forum. :D
I have plans to put back my bigger HDD again, so I have to do a clean install anyway. :) On my first install i didn't want to risk damage my recovery partition to windows, so i took an old 160Gb disk to learn linux partitioning first. Now i know how that works.. i did it ten times so I'm not going to forget it. :lol: :lol:
But it will take a week before i have time to do it... it's a lot of adjustments to get the network to work properly, my desktop layout.. and the dual boot tweaks
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to complete...
It is like it is, because you do what you do, if you hadn't done as you did, it hadn't been as it is. ;)

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware Support”