SSD breaks Wifi

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
follyfarmer

SSD breaks Wifi

Post by follyfarmer »

My SSD with either LM18.2 or LM19 installed appears to break the WiFi connection to my Motorola Moto G3 hot spot after just a few minutes of normal operation. Wired connection to the net is unaffected. I have tried to find a firmware upgrade to address the problem but that seemed more complicated than expected.
Hardware:
Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ACL Laptop, Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 Rev 0x210, WDS250GB0A SSD
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: wlp1s0
version: 99
serial: a0:af:bd:71:ff:cf
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=4.13.0-36-generic firmware=29.610311.0 ip=192.168.43.121 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:41 memory:f0c00000-f0c01fff
Dmesg log attached
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: SSD breaks Wifi

Post by ClixTrix »

The dmesg log you attached shows the 4.8.0-53-generic kernel. Since that Kernel is no longer supported, I would try the latest 4.4 Kernel or the 4.15 Kernel for Mint 18.x.

Check this bug report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1618267
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: SSD breaks Wifi

Post by JeremyB »

I would try this and reboot

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
Some wifi cards have bad reactions to power management getting enabled
follyfarmer

Re: SSD breaks Wifi SOLVED

Post by follyfarmer »

Thanks to both ClixTrix and JeremyB,
I did try the latest kernel 4.15.0-30-generic first. I admit I had forgotten Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels does show a list of available kernels in chronological order making selecting the latest a trivial exercise. However JeremyB's command line solution did the trick, thanks very much and I will attempt to mark the thread SOLVED.
For those who have this problem and would prefer the more natural language description of the solution try:-
Edit /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf and change wifi.powersave to 2 then save and reboot.

Return to “Hardware Support”