unable to shutdown

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cphite
Level 1
Level 1

unable to shutdown

Post by cphite »

I have an old Dell laptop running Mint 18.3 and after a recent update (few weeks ago) the machine will not shut down properly.

When I try to shutdown it will get as far as the Mint logo screen (the logo with four dots under it) and after a moment or two the fan and HDD will stop, but the screen stays on and at that logo. I've waited upwards of 30 minutes and it just stays there; everything else is dark except for the light showing that charger is attached. I have to hold down the power button to get it to fully shut down.

Anything specific I can look at to resolve this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: unable to shutdown

Post by JoeFootball »

cphite wrote:I have to hold down the power button to get it to fully shut down.
I don't have a solution to your core problem, but I wanted to let you know that you'll eventually corrupt your file system powering it off that way.

As an alternate option, hold down Alt + SysRq, and type r e i s u o, waiting a second or two between keystrokes. This will (usually) shutdown your computer cleanly, and preserve your file system.

More info here and here.

Joe
cphite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cphite »

Joe -

Thanks - I will try that in the meantime... and if I can't find a solution I'll just reinstall the OS... been meaning to upgrade anyway, and the machine is only used for surfing and music, so nothing will be lost...

Thanks for the info :D
cphite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cphite »

Heh... so the issue persists even after wiping the machine and installing Mint 19...
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

cphite wrote:Heh... so the issue persists even after wiping the machine and installing Mint 19...
I've seen similar posts to yours recently. Have a read through them to see if you can glean any tips. e.g., when it doesn't shutdown, hitting esc to see if you can view anything of significance.

Joe
cphite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cphite »

Hitting ESC during the shutdown, the last steps are:

[OK] Reached Target Shutdown.
Starting Shuts down the "live" preinstalled system cleanly...
[OK] Starting Shuts down the "live" preinstalled system cleanly.
[OK] Reached target Final Step.
Starting Power-Off...

It hangs at "starting power-off" indefinitely.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 pm
As an alternate option, hold down Alt + SysRq, and type r e i s u o, waiting a second or two between keystrokes. This will (usually) shutdown your computer cleanly, and preserve your file system.

More info here and here.

Joe
My keyboard has a left Alt key and on the right is an AltGr key. Alt and SysRq are too far apart to hold together with one hand. Is it possible to use AltGr + SysRq?
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Terryphi wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:17 am My keyboard has a left Alt key and on the right is an AltGr key. Alt and SysRq are too far apart to hold together with one hand. Is it possible to use AltGr + SysRq?
Please read the forum rules about creating a new thread for a new question.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

@catweazel Sorry. I thought it was related to the topic and specifically JoeFootball's reply. I was seeking clarification for those of us with AltGr rather than Alt on the right side of the keyboard.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Terryphi wrote: @catweazel Sorry. I thought it was related to the topic and specifically JoeFootball's reply. I was seeking clarification for those of us with AltGr rather than Alt on the right side of the keyboard.
Let's take this one over here.

Joe

Return to “Hardware Support”